Harrison Ballista

stefan.oancea

Hello!

I posted a few months ago on this forum regarding the Nash Venom rods. At that time, I wanted to buy a few of those, but meanwhile I changed my mind and bought 4 Harrison Ballsitas.

I would appreciate some comments on these rods, if there is anyone who already has some experience with them.

The ones i chose are 13' and 4lb model. I chose this model as they are going to provide more casting power and in many of the lakes I go fishing I have to be able to cast distances of over 100-120 meters.

One more thing, also from people who had experience with these rods, could you compare them to Century NG?

Thank you very much!

Sorry but if you already have them, can't you tell more from using them than from opinions?

Casting those distances is more a matter of technique than anything else although having a good rod should certainly help.

My technique stinks and it is doubtful I could reach anything like 100 yards with a rig tied on regardless of what rod I used. I could probably manage it with a bait boat.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

To put it into perspective the rods I use to land 150lb+ catfish from fast flowing rivers are 4lbTC 12'.My long range carp rods which I use for fishing up to 120m (can cast a lot further but its not really practicle to fish any further out as you cant really bait up properly with out a boat) are only 3lb 13'

As Newt says its technique thats needed not extra TC!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I already have them, but I didn't get the chance to test them, as I just bought them. And it's winter time now, so it's going to take a while before I will be able to thoroughly test them.

I know it's technique that is definitve for a good cast, but from what I have read before buying them, with the appropriate technique this model is going to help me gain in distance. I could have chosen a fast tapered rod to gain those extra meters, but with that type of rod I guess playing the fish wouldn't be so nice.

Furthermore, as their action is progressive, you don't really feel you have a 4lb rod in your hands. It's more like 3.5lb.

I'm not shure why, it must be the way it is made, but from what i have learned this is the general oppinion: that it behaves like a 3.5 lb rod.

Still, if anyone has had both NG's and Ballistas's i would like to know how they both felt.

Thank you!

Stefan, now is probably a good time to practise...find a field and practise..practise.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have the 12' 3lb test curve models and despite using them with big pit reels I don't really know how far you could chuck with them.

What I have found with the Ballistas though, is that they have a medium action which makes them a much nicer tool to play a fish on than some of the fast taper out and out distance rods.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I don't find ballistras very good for distance - the action isn't great as they are too through actioned, and hence don't have the quick tip speed required. I'd recommend the chimeras personally (which I also have and are much better actioned). I got on with the chimeras well for casting but suffered line slap and problems with the line catching on the butt ring. My current rods for casting are Greys Prodigy's.

Rob.

I had three Ballistas custom made a few years back. Just wish I`d been a bit more thorough before committing to three.....

They`re 2.75lb test but feel more like 2.25. Very soft rods which twist when on the chuck so knackering accuracy. The soft through action does make playing fish nice though!

They`ve since been replaced with a set of Chub Vantage rods and are now my stable tool for piking (for which they`re lovely!).

wolf.gif

Very soft rods which twist when on the chuck

Most likely the rings are not properly aligned with the rod spine. That causes twist when thumping out a rig or when playing a fish.

Not nice even with an off-the-shelf rod and inexcusible for a custom made jobby.

Ouch.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I must confess that Iam a big fan of the ballistas and have used them for many years but only for fishing close to medium range. They are superb fish playing rods which are very forgiving when you have a big lump under the rod tip. As has been mentioned, they are not so good for distance and having tried several rods over the years, I still revert back to my old Daiwa/Nash AKNs which are superb and in my own opinion have not been bettered and which still occassionally come up on e-bay in both the 12 and 13 foot versions. I personally prefer the 12 foot AKN12H versions which have stood the test in time both in the UK and France. Ultimately, your personal preference should dictate what is right for you and it would be worth trying as many set ups as you can to find what you would be be happy with.