boat repairs

Anthony78

Hi,

My fishing partner and I have been offered a 13' fishing boat. We think it's a Orkney Spinner 13 but haven't seen it yet. Apparently it has some damage to the underside which would need to be repaired/patched with fibreglass. Is this an easy/cheap task or is it best left to the experts? Anything else we should look out for when we go to see it?

The chap wants £100 for the boat and trailer so hopefully we can grab a bargain as long as there isn't to much work needed.

I've never brought a boat before so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the damage is all surface stuff, fiberglassing is easy enough.

If there is damage or rot to the main structures, run away very quickly.

Ask Elton about that. I think he has one in his garden that needs yet more work after several years of never getting wet except when it rains.

Have a long, hard look at the trailer as well. Boat hitting highway at speed is not a pretty sight.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If the damage is all surface stuff, fiberglassing is easy enough.

If there is damage or rot to the main structures, run away very quickly.

Ask Elton about that. I think he has one in his garden that needs yet more work after several years of never getting wet except when it rains.

Have a long, hard look at the trailer as well. Boat hitting highway at speed is not a pretty sight.

Thanks for that Newt,

we are going to look at it on Fri night so will see what damage there is then.

Effort equals reward!!

i'l repeat a warning i gave to Elton ,if you want a boat you may need deep pockets to go with it.

they have wooden frames, wood rots and is a pain to replace ,they may look ok but when the front end of your boat is turning right and the rear end left its a warning.

bulkheads are just ply with a thin skin of plastic ,water gets in and it rots and then frost splits the plastic.

dont lose all hope with time and money and time most things can be restored and usually better than they were new.

the biggest cost is marine ply, 15ply is an arm and leg but the only real stuff to use as you can screw into it and it doesent split like the cheap stuff.

we replaced the complete stern of our 18ft sailer and used 40hp outboards on it (still didnt go fast but made more spray :D ) the actual fiberglassing is fun

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Defenition of the word "boat". a hole in the water you throw money into

Just remember that and you won't go far wrong, just ask yourself this question; if the repair is that simple why is he selling the boat and trailer so cheaply.

Not all bargains turn out to be, fiberglassing a boat to make it structually sound enough to make a safe fishing platform for two men and gear is not as easy as it sounds

Thanks for the advice so far chaps. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this boating now. It's always appealed to me as I live so close to the river Severn. When I'm fishing for pike I always spot a fallen tree or a slack on the opposite bank which I haven't got a chance of fishing from the bank and thought that there might be a monster sitting there waiting for the next lucky chap with a boat to catch it. I want to be that lucky chap!!

We have now discovered that it isn't an Orkney spinner 13. It is in fact a Dory 13. The pictures below show what it could be. We would be buying just the shell and the trailer. I have been told that there is some damage to the front corner but it doesn't go right through.

I will keep you updated.

post-4584-1199989047_thumb.jpgpost-4584-1199989065_thumb.jpg

Effort equals reward!!

Anthony - that is a great hull design for fishing lakes, rivers, and the sea when things are fairly calm. Better for two people fishing than any of the usual designs I see in photos here as long as the weather is even half decent.

If all it needs is some fiberglass patching and other minor repairs, go for it.

If the outboard is included and runs OK, it is probably worth more than they are asking for the whole rig.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Me and my Dad owned a boat for sea fishing, came the time we needed a new trailer, twelve months later the new trailer was knackered, you see we never greased the bearings.

If you get the boat look after the trailer just as well.

Anthony - that is a great hull design for fishing lakes, rivers, and the sea when things are fairly calm. Better for two people fishing than any of the usual designs I see in photos here as long as the weather is even half decent.

If all it needs is some fiberglass patching and other minor repairs, go for it.

If the outboard is included and runs OK, it is probably worth more than they are asking for the whole rig.

Hi Newt,

Unforunately there isn't an outboard included so this will be our next purchase. We will have to rely on oar power for now :rolleyes:

Me and my Dad owned a boat for sea fishing, came the time we needed a new trailer, twelve months later the new trailer was knackered, you see we never greased the bearings.

If you get the boat look after the trailer just as well.

Hi StuGlynn,

Would these be the bearings for the Road wheels or for the wheels that the boat is winched up? (Probably both but I just want to be sure) Why couldn't you and your dad change the bearings on your tralor as I would have thought it cheaper to do this than to replace the whole trailor?

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

You will absolutely love fishing from a boat as opposed to fishing from the bank unless you prefer rod pods and 'bait & wait' fishing.

Bearings left ungreased will rust (fresh water) or corrode (sea water) as will the spindle and you quickly wind up needing to replace the entire axle which can cost more than getting a different trailer.