Raven Classic Centrepin

rarepleasures

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're on e-bay as well ! the raven Vectra SST3 & Vectra SST2 look nice ,the Matrix xl is a 5" version ,the normal matrix s 4 1/2" i think ,the classic looks like a rimfly reel with two handles

Matrix

24120011b.jpg

SST 2 & 3

24035001b2.jpg24035001b3.jpg

Classic

24120001b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they used to make a SST 1 reel ,which looks remarkably like the okuma's ,but i think it came out first !

i don't think they make it any more ?

img5.jpg

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I have had a trawl around the American and Canadian sites and it would appear that the Matrix and Classic are roughly the equivalent of the Okuma Aventa pro and the Okuma sheffield with the SS3 being regarded as being marginally more upmarket though some don't like the lightness of this model.

They may be worth a shot as they are not yet common in this country and it's nice to be a bit different.

Personally speaking from a purely asthetics point of view the SS3 would be my choice I am unable to comment on the performance of these reels myself as I hav not as yet handled one

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I have had a trawl around the American and Canadian sites and it would appear that the Matrix and Classic are roughly the equivalent of the Okuma Aventa pro and the Okuma sheffield with the SS3 being regarded as being marginally more upmarket though some don't like the lightness of this model.

They may be worth a shot as they are not yet common in this country and it's nice to be a bit different.

Personally speaking from a purely asthetics point of view the SS3 would be my choice I am unable to comment on the performance of these reels myself as I hav not as yet handled one

I just happened to be passing though looking for some info on a stanton I just picked up, and trolling around google UK looking for unique pins when I saw this thread.

I happen to be a raven dealer in the states and I fish these reels often. The SST1 was ripped of by okuma, and marketed as their own. The Okuma is close to the biggest piece of trash I have ever fished, once you touch a raven okumas just plain old feel cheap.. Granted I am comparing it to my Bob james, fred crouch, stanton and my ravens.

The ravens are good reels, priced nicely. The matrix and matrix xl are OK reels, sturdy work horses. Nothing fancy and truth be told the start up is just ok. The SST2 and 3 are very nice start up is quick,but still below that of a Bob James. Removal of the bearings and a proper cleaning makes the real feel like a completely different animal.

For light floats say 1-4 grams the sst3 is excellent. The down side is that it is very light and does not balance very well on longer rod that we use for steelhead 13ft plus.

Ditch

Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be.

Hi ditchrat and welcome to the forum.

What is the advantage of using a pin for steelhead fishing?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I was looking forward to finding out a little more about these Raven reels until the so called dealer posted and claimed that the Okuma reels are trash. Well if that's what a Raven dealer thinks then their knowledge of market place products must be very limited and therefore their own products as well.

I think i will give Raven a wide berth and stick with Okuma and my Adcock Stanton.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Hi ditchrat and welcome to the forum.

What is the advantage of using a pin for steelhead fishing?

Given the size and structure of the rivers in the States centerpins allow the presentation of floats at long distances with a bait first presentation. The long of the short of it is more time in the strike zone equates to more fish on the line. Turns about to be about 7 fish 1 one against fixed spool anglers with or without floats.

I was looking forward to finding out a little more about these Raven reels until the so called dealer posted and claimed that the Okuma reels are trash. Well if that's what a Raven dealer thinks then their knowledge of market place products must be very limited and therefore their own products as well.

I think i will give Raven a wide berth and stick with Okuma and my Adcock Stanton.

Seeing that I sell okumas, youngs and ravens I think you own a okuma. And frankly a little foolish if you think a Korean can company can match the knowledge of the Canadians when it comes to float fishing. Your Okuma is a ripped off cheaper version of the raven sst1.

Ditch

Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be.

Ditchrat, just curious which are the most favoured Pins in Canada ? As you lot seem to do a lot of pin fishing your opinion would be interesting. Not wishing to upset anyone as many anglers do love their Okuma pins I do agree with you and am not very keen on them.

Hi All

Until i read this thread i hadnt realised that centrepin reels were so popular in north america.Had a quick go on google myself and came across a site aimed at great lakes anglers,with a whole forum dedicated to "pin" users.

Even saw a post re the humble Drennan Loafer,a popular river float on our side of the pond.

Ditchrat

Is the new Hardy conquest centrepin reel going to be available over there?

I only ask because a friend of mine recently handled one of these reels and was practically salivating!

Ditchrat I quite fancy an SST 3 what would it cost me to have one sent here in the UK

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan