Perch in the rain

Anderoo

This is a really interesting question that i've been asking myself recently.

I fish a variety of waters, but many of them are deep large lochs. The thing i've noticed with my results in rainy/stormy (all the time then :D) is that if the loch i'm fishing is deep and clear then generally deadbaits work great no matter what the weather is doing. In fact i've fished places which have really turned on in horrific weather and had some fantastic days fishing.

However if the loch i'm fishing is one of the more typical lowland waters where they are shallower and prone to colouring up more (through peat staining mostly, some turn the colour of tea) then the results are usually terrible for me in rainy/stormy conditions. In fact usually i pull off this type of venue until the weather pattern has settled and the conditions are more what people would consider good piking conditions (clear and cold)

So maybe it's more to do with water clarlty/depth when the weather is evil?

These are just what i've observed over the years. Of course i've had exceptions, but this is the consistant pattern for me.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had some of my best catches of big perch in heavy rain. In fact, I often choose to go fishing in such conditions. I strongly suspect it's due to the low light levels.

Good luck!

I have to agree my friend and I have had some of our best fishing when the the gods decide to let it pour just make sure you have the proper clothing for the weather

david

Perch more to do with sight perhaps, and pike more to do with smell or vibration?

I dunno about perch or vibration with pike but they have a really poor sense of smell to the point that the various lure scents are pretty much a waste of money for piking while they really improve catch rates on several other preds.

I often read on here that high pressure is good pikeing weather and bright, clear skies go along with high pressure so I'm guessing sight is more important to them although vibration sensing is essential to top preds if they are to locate prey in muddy water.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Interesting to hear Anderoo has never had a pike in the rain. Have others found the same?

I've had pike to deadbait on rainy days.

In fact blustery days with heavy showers are one of my preferred piking weather days.

But I've never had one on a lure when it's actually been raining.

(I've seen them moving around in the rain, and run the lure passed them with no interest shown at all)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I dunno about perch or vibration with pike but they have a really poor sense of smell to the point that the various lure scents are pretty much a waste of money for piking while they really improve catch rates on several other preds.

I often read on here that high pressure is good pikeing weather and bright, clear skies go along with high pressure so I'm guessing sight is more important to them although vibration sensing is essential to top preds if they are to locate prey in muddy water.

Pike may have a poorer sense of smell than other species but they readilly find deadbaits even in complete darkness. Indeed Barrie Rickards in one of his books tells of pike finding deadbaits up a sidestream in wire baskets. It looks then as it's all relative.

In my experience (and others) big pike feed best in rising pressure rather than high pressure. Just the sort of "bluebird" post cold front days that seem to put off US bass. But then we rarely get such pronounced cold fronts as in continental areas like the States.

My earlier suggestion about deadbait feeders being female seems up the spout. The jack that my friend caught last week on deadbait contained milt and so was a male!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I find this topic very interesting, and of course the internet is such an excellent medium to discuss these points and also record personal observations.

Returning to the atmospheric pressure issue, I don't think it's the direct affect that pressure has on the water as water is largely incompressible.

However there's no doubt that trout rise to a surface fly more often in high pressure. Indeed, scientists found that trout in an indoor tank in a controlled and enclosed indoor environment swam higher in the water at times of high pressure.

Atmospheric pressure can though have a bearing on oxygen exchange at the surface, and Reg Righyni discussed this in "Salmon Taking Times" as did Jack Meyer in "Weather to Fish". Another book worth reading is the recent "Trout, Salmon and the Evening Rise (The Barometric Breakthough) " by Andrew Bett.

The explanation I find most convincing though is in a book called "Studies of an Angler". Unfortunately this is little-known, including by modern writers, as it was published in a small edition in Australia in 1950. Wackett's detailed observations led him to a theory based on the effect atmospheric pressure has on the gas in the swim bladder of the fish.

And of course, unlike water, gases are certainly compressible.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Returning to the atmospheric pressure issue, I don't think it's the direct affect that pressure has on the water as water is largely incompressible.

Hi Steve,

I think that fact is beside the point.

I remember childhood toys that had a small bubble inside (frogmen, submarines etc), that would rise up the column of water within a bottle, yet when the cork was squeezed down, the bubble would contract, displacing less water, and the toy would sink to the bottom.

Relieve the pressure on the cork, the air pressure inside the bottle would fall, the bubble would expand and the toy would rise again.

It's not the effect of pressure on the water which may be important, but on the various organisms within the water, especially where swim-bladders may be involved, and of course the various gases within the body that would expand and contract at different rates as the pressure varies, perhaps affecting different biological systems (ie if the blood contains a greater displacement volume of (say) nitrogen, how would that affect the organisms usual energy level, behavior etc?).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

as water is largely incompressible.

That's quite true Steve, but its your deduction that's at fault. BECAUSE water is virtually incompressible it is VERY GOOD at transmitting pressure - including atmospheric pressure (and think about how damaging depth-charges are to submarines - thats 'cos water transmits pressure). So although pressure increases with depth due to the weight of water in the overlying column, at a GIVEN DEPTH the pressure will be that of the water PLUS the atmospheric pressure - with changes in atmospheric pressure readily detectable to a fish that is remaining at a constant depth. The fish may or may not decide to ascend/descend as a result - but that's another issue.

Contrast driving a Volvo V70 with comfy compressible seats to driving my "reserve" motor - a Landie Defender with less compressible seats - best described as "rugged" You soon find out which transmits pressure to your backside most.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks, Guys, I've learned something today. :thumbs: Ain't the Forum great!

There's loads of interesting and useful info here, thanks everyone. I absorbed it all and managed to translate it into a superb blank at the weekend. Hopefully tomorrow will be a different story...

BTW the weather for tomorrow is going to be mild, overcast with sunny spells, no rain, and a light south-westerly. The stream should have fined down after the floods and with luck will be carrying a little extra colour and flow. The warmest part of the day will be just before dusk, and this is the warmest it'll get before the imminent cold snap. Even if I could choose the weather, there's not much I'd change :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music