Digital Scales - or not for that matter...

BoozleBear

I need some new scales as the last set I had broke, and I then got some digital ones which told complete lies - 3lb fish were 1lb etc. Checked fully at home with many objects and compared to what our kitchen scales said it was always about a third of what it should read.

That being my only experience with digital scales doesn't make me too keen. Having said, looking on ebay and a few other places it seems digital scales are cheaper, and I like the fact that they take up a fair bit less space.

So over to you lot to drench me in unbiased advice, opinion and wisdom in all things scales.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I have a set of Berkley digital scales that weigh in pounds and ounces imperial weight not US and they've been good with no problems so far but I always take my samson spring balances just in case of battery faiure.

Every now and again I use both scales for a comparasism and the weights come out the same so the digitals are bearing up well

I've got a set of Berkley scales too, mine give a decimal avoirdupois weight so you need to know your 1.6 times table to get the ounces.

I've always kept them in a Tupperware type bacon box packed in ethafoam and must have had them for at least five years now with no problems.

I've got a set of Berkley scales too, mine give a decimal avoirdupois weight so you need to know your 1.6 times table to get the ounces.

I've always kept them in a Tupperware type bacon box packed in ethafoam and must have had them for at least five years now with no problems.

I've had my Avon (analogue??) scales for at least ten years and they are still very accurate. Pretty much all I hear about digital scales is bad. I'd say the simpler the mechanism the less there is to go wrong!

Rich

I've had my Avon (analogue??) scales for at least ten years and they are still very accurate. Pretty much all I hear about digital scales is bad. I'd say the simpler the mechanism the less there is to go wrong!

Rich

I've had my Avons for 20 years and they've been crap for the last ten.

i've had fox digitals since they came out and the only prob i had was whan the battery terminal broke but fox replaced them immediately . i also like the new berkley range of digi's they look a bit more compact. i had a set of reuben flyweights that used to stick when zeroing! , big round reubens where the needle bounce was terrible even with a weigh staff. and i looked at buying a tiny set of okuma dials the other day that weigh up to 11 lb but when i got them out the packet in the shop to check them and weighed a kilo bag of bait they were well of the mark so we opened up all the sets of okumas in the shop and referenced them against some digi's(5 sets) and they(okumas) were all well out . needless to say they were returned to the manufacturer!

its digital all the way for me ;)

Cheers you lot,

I am going to get some normal ones rather than digital. It seems I'd have to spend quite a bit more to get digital one's I'd be confident were any good.

Plus I just got a good price on ebay for some scales with a weighing slip chucked in for good measure!

Cheers for the advice.

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Like most things, the efficiency and durability of scales seems to directly correlate to what you pay for them.

Generally true but not in this case:

Scales

Just buy a cheap rigid container to keep them in that's all to stop them switching themselves on in transit.

Dave

I've got a set of cheapish Rapala digis and they're excellent, but no good for any weights under 1lb. Not often a problem, unless you fish for dace or bullheads, but something to be aware of.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music