first multi

lyons

hi i have bought my first multiplier reel an abu6600bcx with a right hand wind. i have only used fixed spools before and i am worried my first cast will be a total birds nest.any advice will be gladfully taken on board.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest, you rig up the rod and reel (don't forget a shock leader) and then put a 4 or 5 oz lead on the line.

Put the reel in free spool and adjust it so that the weight falls to the ground, without over running the reel.

Then take it to a safe place, like a beach, or open field and cast it gently.

Build up your casting "speed" and as your confidence grows, ease of the adjustment to make your reel flow easier.

If you keep the reel adjustment and your casting ability in tune, you shouldn't get birds nests.

Alternatively, try to find a casting instructor in your area and have a few lessons, they will be a lot cheaper than you think.

Good luck. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

The secret is slow, easy and flowing.

Let the rod do the work.

Trying to belt the bait as far as possible, by application of 'wellie' is what is most likely to cause problems.

Whereas a smooth unhurried gentle cast is likely to put the bait out further without problems.

Thumb on the spool, ready to apply gentle braking at the first sign of trouble, and to stop the spool at touchdown (or slightly before, especially if the cast has gone high and the weight is now dropping near vertical at the end of the cast).

Once you are casting confidently and smoothly, then is the time to start looking at your overall technique to get those extra metres.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Make sure that your shock leader knot is at the side of the spool. It will stop you ripping your thumb. I learnt the hard way :cry:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

lyons

As some one who has just started using a multiplier as well, take note of all of the above. I started by screwing all the adjustments down and then slackening off as my skill and confidence grew. I've been using the local field to practice and have found that little adjustments, small steps will help you progress in the correct direction. Just remember that, first off you are never going to cast 150 yards plus, so don't try. If you get it right it'll come with time. The best I've ever done is a 120 yard overhead thump on the field. At the beach I'll be happy with a 90 yarder.

I hope that you master it, as it wicked seeing your lead fly off into the blue yonder and your reel staying neat. Oh another thing to remember is that, as your line leaves your reel, the spool speeds up. This is why birdies happen I think (tell me if I'm wrong please guys).

Tight lines.

squibs :D

Edited by squibs
Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

lyons

As some one who has just started using a multiplier as well, take note of all of the above. I started by screwing all the adjustments down and then slackening off as my skill and confidence grew. I've been using the local field to practice and have found that little adjustments, small steps will help you progress in the correct direction. Just remember that, first off you are never going to cast 150 yards plus, so don't try. If you get it right it'll come with time. The best I've ever done is a 120 yard overhead thump on the field. At the beach I'll be happy with a 90 yarder.

I hope that you master it, as it wicked seeing your lead fly off into the blue yonder and your real staying neat. Oh another thing to remember is that, as your line leaves your reel, the spool speeds up. This is why birdies happen I think (tell me if I'm wrong please guys).

Tight lines.

squibs :D

The less line on the spool the more turns required per yard, but as the spool empties the lead is slowing down so coupled with braking the spool should be slowing down. Well that's the theory. :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I am still a "numpty" with a multiplier :o Basically all of my sea fishing is done on the Mull of Galloway. For 95% of my fishing I use light spinning gear. The target fish are normally bass,pollack and wrasse close in so a fixed spool is my weapon of choice and am quite adept with it. In fact can bounce a popper off a seals head at 40/50 yds with regularity :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Am fine with multipliers on the boats but with a beachcaster am not the best. Its just lack of practice basically. Some casts are up with the best but more often than not its a birds nest from hell. :unsure:

Off to the fridge for a beer :drunk: On night shift next week so can get as wrecked as I want tonight!!! ;)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I am still a "numpty" with a multiplier

No need to feel this way, Snatch!

ALL multipliers can (should) be 'tamed' before use; even those with no mag or certrifugal brakes.

I lived with a Mitchell 602 and Penn 160 before brakes!

A lot of the time, the last bit of tuning necessary is the use of thicker oil.

The old Shimano Speedmasters had an awful reputation and did come with a rather heavy alloy spool which exaggerated the 'flywheel' effect.

I used a pair for ten years and they were superb, if a little noisy on the retrieve. I confess, though, that I made my own overly large brake blocks from Breakaway lead rollers!

Most of today's popular 6500 ranges and 525s can all be made user-friendly after adding the correct amount of line, cleaning and adding a drop (only) of red rocket fuel to the bearings and using the right mag settings or numbers of brake blocks.

When I am with a casting client, one of my favourite phrases is 'You MUST be in charge of the reel and not the other way round!".

As a last resort if you do get a lively one, the tiniest smear of STP or similar gear oil to the spool spindle ends will usually quieten it down. What the hell if it takes 5m off your cast; at least you spend a bit more time fishing and a little less untangling!

I reckon I fish 2 or 3 times a week for 48 weeks of the year and if I get one 'Krakof', there is a serious post-mortem!!!

B)