Grayling/stick float rod

Anthony78

Hi All,

My Brother, who will be joining us on this years Timsbury fish-in, is looking to buy a new float/stick rod which he will be using mostly for grayling throughout the winter months. Has anybody got any suggestions? money is not an issue for him :angry: so suggest away please.

Ant

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

Hi All,

My Brother, who will be joining us on this years Timsbury fish-in, is looking to buy a new float/stick rod which he will be using mostly for grayling throughout the winter months. Has anybody got any suggestions? money is not an issue for him :angry: so suggest away please.

Ant

To be honest any match/float rod will be suitable for grayling so really it comes down to personal choice really.All the major manufacturers will have a suitable rod in their range, although make sure you go for a more general purpose float rod rather than a power/stepped up version as these are aimed at commercial carp bagging.

For all my light line float fishing for grayling,dace,roach,rudd and chub i use a Preston Innovations Sentient(the 14ft version).This is a very forgiving rod and has a more tip to middle action rather than the more tippy action of traditional stick float rods.I use it with confidence even with very light lines and can easily handle waggler fishing as well.I believe Preston discontinued it several months ago, i do knot know if they have a similiar rod in their new range.I think there is a super sentient range of rods but have no knowledge of their intented uses.

although make sure you go for a more general purpose float rod rather than a power/stepped up version as these are aimed at commercial carp bagging.

We made this error at the Itchen Fish-in. He used his TF Gear Brunt carp float rod and bumped off every single grayling he hooked. I'm very surprised he didn't throw it in!! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get the details together for the Preston rods to show him as he isn't back online until next weekend.

Please keep the suggestions coming!!

Effort equals reward!!

Got to be the Normarks !

I use the Normark Vantage Match 13' myself which I bought over 10 years ago and I love it. Which of the Normarks would you recommend??

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I use the Normark Vantage Match 13' myself which I bought over 10 years ago and I love it. Which of the Normarks would you recommend??

Ant

I use my Normark Avenger for Grayling fishing in fast water but you could use the Titan or Microlight if you liked. They really are the dogs bollies of match style rods. I have two microlights one 12ft and one 13ft a 13 to 15 ft Titan and a 13ft Avenger I like them that much. The Avenger is the stronger of the three but is still very light and you certainly won't be bumping off any fish with it. I've been using my Avenger today for trotting catching Roach, Dace and Chub in fast water. The biggest of the chub where 2 1/2 lb but in the fast flow felt like double that and the rod was a joy to use as usual. I also like some of the Drennan im8 rods they're also super rods infact there's a couple on ebay now well worth a look. I hope he gets what he wants but he deffo won't go wrong with any of the Normarks.

Edited by tigger

If you get amongst any decent grayling you want a rod that is forgiving but with a bit of backbone I am using the Preston Sentinent Power float rod and it is excellent. You shouldn't bump fish off as the tip is forgiving but it has the wallop further down the blank to stop grayling quickly which is a good thing with the larger fish that tend to punch well above their weight and then need lots of time reviving them if they are played for too long.

It's a tad pricey but superb and as a bonus it will also stop barbel very easily as well!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Ant,

I bought a Shakespeare rod a few year back for Grayling fishing and it is the dogs danglies. It wasn't too exspensive around £70 and it is ideal for the Grayling. Very forgiving but has power in the butt when you need it. He is more than welcome to borry this and give it a try if he likes.

Paul

Ant,

I bought a Shakespeare rod a few year back for Grayling fishing and it is the dogs danglies. It wasn't too exspensive around £70 and it is ideal for the Grayling. Very forgiving but has power in the butt when you need it. He is more than welcome to borry this and give it a try if he likes.

Hello mate,

This wouldn't be the one you tried to stop a van with at the Itchen fishery would it ;):P . I do remember giving that rod a once over and it was very impressive considering it was a shakespear :D I'll pass on your kind offer and let you know. Thanks very much.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Got to be a Harrison for me I now own 2, 15' GtIs (hollow tip) - great for the wide expanses of the Lower Itchen and Test. My last one was made by Ian Tucker back in the spring - and a thoroughly good job he did too.

See: http://www.customfishingrods.co.uk/

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog