GPS Rage

Leon Roskilly

Back in my day, it was easy enough to take a couple of compass bearings, with land in view.

Or even take bearings from a couple of places ashore, on a boat that could be seen out there.

(I used to practice by putting 50P piece down into the long grass in a field, taking some bearings on some landmarks with a small handheld compass, then walk back across and around the field and try to find the 50p coming from a different direction - I don't think that I ever lost a 50P piece!)

GPS?

Everyone would be lost without it these days!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Most people need gps to wipe their ass these days. I was taught ot use a compass as a nipper, and I've been lucky enough to travel to some incredibly remote spots, and I've hiked off on my own to find good fishing using a map and a compass, and I dont think i've ever got lost. Most of my friends wouldn't dream of going out into the wilds with out a electric nanny, to tell them where to go.

GPS has its uses, and its pretty amazing to see it in action. And personally i'll be fitting a small portable marine one to my kayak, so i can log good fishing spots as and where i find them, when im out. I think its pretty underhand to go out with a guide whos spent his life in one area finding the good fishing spots, and basically steal his knowledge.

it is now a quite common practice for small boats to come quite close to charter boats on the pretext of "how are you doing", "have you caught much" whilst pressing the mark button on the GPS.

Next weekend you find them fishing exactly on your marks.

Whilst it is a great invention i am afraid it has spoilt fishing for a lot of people,because i feel that if fishing was easy we would soon get bored with it.

the gps is a dead easy these days not to long ago we were using deeca navigation with an anolog signal from transmitars you dont know you are born these days ,when there was any static in the air usually when there was thundery activity your navigator went haywire ,you may have steamed 30 miles offshore to a wreck when o **** the navogator goes haywire you would search for ages looking for something what kept moving around with your customers twidling there thumbs

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

I thought you were rather like a homing pigeon big cod. You spend such a big part of your life at sea You should know your way to those wrecks blind folded by now .