Mild, clear, high pressure

The Flying Tench

Well there are some interesting weather conditions at present. (I'm based in newbury in the south, so apologies if the weather is different where you are.) I suppose the obvious thing would be lure fishing with the high pressure, but on the other hand it's no longer the start of the high pressure and maybe the water temp is still a bit low?

Bad for roach and many species with the brightness and high pressure. Not sure about chub?

I'm never clear whether deadbaiting is OK in high pressure. Some people say you must have a moving bait, but others seem to think any pike fishing is good in high pressure.

So what's the thing to go for in these conditions in your view?

john clarke

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brightness can be a problem for most species, Chub included. The best advice I can offer is to fish into dusk, it's amazing how often a previously biteless session turns in to a corker during the hour around sunset. If it's been a sunny day the water temperature should also be close to its highest then as well.

Had a hard session in the sun today, just one 3lb chub on cheese paste, couldn't buy a bite on maggot or worm. It was a lovely day to be out though with very warm sunshine and lots of birds about. Saw over 20 species including a kingfisher which always makes my day, even if I blank.

Will

But it will "happen" more if you use the conditions to select the most apropriate target species and methods!

And it would be good to hear your views on this, Budgie, particluarly whether it's worth giving deadbaits for pike a go in high pressure, or whether one really needs to stick with moving baits - which I've been advised is likely to mean more but smaller fish in a particular Thames venue I was thinking of having a crack at!

john clarke

Dusk and dawn - Paul and I were fishing a large Kennet estate today nearly all our fish came in the first or last 2 hours and the only other swims that produced during the day were those shaded in the woods...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I still use static deadbaits in high pressure conditions John.Its just that I expect a lot more fish to come to the live baits. I think the reason that you catch lots of smaller pike when using lives is simply because you are catching more pike! I've had big pike on deads, lives and lures in most conditions.

When the first high pressure conditions are in it simply turns the pike on to an active feeding mode.Because of this the lives and mobile deads/lures are the most attractive to them.In the low pressure conditions not so many fish are feeding and as they are not so active the deadbaits seem to be the ones that will pick up these odd fish.

The weather doesnt often "stop" me from going out but it does often influence which species I will be targeting.Im not (unless its the only day that I can get on a particular water) going top waste my day sat behind two unmoving livebait rods hoping that one of the deadbait rods will go during a prolonged period of low pressure.Instead I will be chasing the roach or even some winter carping.I dont mind blanking but feel that the correct use of watercraft and knowledge to make the most of each day is just as important/rewarding as any other angling skills we use. Also as an all rounder it helps me not get bogged down with any one species or method. I really believe thaty most "I dont mind blanking in poor conditions" anglers are just lazy! Nothing wrong with that but dont make it a virtue!

Just briefly back to the small pike/livebait situation.If you can use multiple rods then I always like to use a combination of lives and deads.Im not that worried if I catch a lot more smaller pike.Catching smaller pike doesnt stop me from catching big ones so I simply look at the extra action they bring as something to keep me occupied between the big ones.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well I planned to have a quick wobble with deadbaits in the morning today(which never happened cos I lost my forceps), then a pre-Valentines lunch with my wife, and then the big crescendo was going to be a couple of hours at dusk getting some monster perch and chub on worm in Newbury town centre (R Kennet).

Well I blanked, sad to say, but while I was blanking away I realised I had a further question to ask Chris - or anyone else interested! The question is this. Chris, you fished a long day on Sunday and understandably found the time when the sun was bright was tough going. But aren't those conditions (bright, high pressure winter days) exactly what the pike anglers crave? So wouldn't it have been more productive to put on a live or dead bait and trot down those carriers and bag up on pike?

I don't mean to sound as if I'm telling someone else what they should be fishing for! It's the theory behind it I'm trying to get clear on. Perhaps my question should be 'suppose someone such as me was fishing those carriers .....'

It would be better if I had had my 'wobble' and could tell you how it went. I'm quite clear that if it was the start of the high pressure spell pike would be the thing to go for. But on a day like this when the sun was shining away but we've had high pressure for about a week - well I'm sure the Valentine lunch was the best bet, but after that.....?

john clarke