Johnsons Lake Closed Season

Chris Plumb

Just learnt that Godalming AS are implementing a closed season on Johnsons to protect the big crus during spawning....

http://www.godalminganglingsociety.co.uk/news/category/general-society-news

Sensible move in my view.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be more busy than last May!

Overall I think it's sensible but I am even more glad now that I managed to catch one of the bigger ones last May. I had a pretty tough time last spring so that was some consolation.

I enjoyed the fishing a lot more once the crowds had gone in the summer, so it will be interesting to see whether they still fish there once the chance of pre spawn giants has gone. I suspect many won't.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Never fished Marsh Farm but looking to do a bit of tenching there later on this year. Wonder why the closed season isn't being applied to Harris and Richardson lakes too?

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Johnsons gets the pressure because of the size of the fish, I don't think the day ticket lakes are really producing the really big crucians any more. Last spring Johnsons produced so many really big crucians it was silly. I photographed multiple 4lbers for adjacent anglers and the record was broken (I think) 3 times.

Rusty, the tench fishing is excellent for numbers of fish (some days it's hard to keep a bait in the water!), but they're genertally quite small. However, there's quite a few that go 6lb+ with the occasional 7 - lots of fun on light tackle, although something of a nuisance when you want the crucians!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Rusty, the tench fishing is excellent for numbers of fish (some days it's hard to keep a bait in the water!), but they're genertally quite small. However, there's quite a few that go 6lb+ with the occasional 7 - lots of fun on light tackle, although something of a nuisance when you want the crucians!

Thanks Anderoo, that's exactly the sort of fishing I was thinking of. My cane rods haven't been used much in the past year so I was thinking of giving them an outing during warmer months, an over-nighter if I can buy a ticket for that.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes, you can get a night supplement for Johnsons if you want to fish overnight.

With the change in season I will probably just get the day ticket next year, I never really enjoyed night fishing there - too exhausting when the tench go crazy and keep you up all night, and although you do catch the big crucians in the dark, you seem to catch them equally well in the daytime too.