Glorious centrepin reels

tiddlertamer

Following on from advice received on this forum, I’ve decided to purchase a centrepin reel. (Thank you guys and gals - you've made me much happier if much poorer too...)

Most of my fishing involves long trotting for silverfish and a traditional centrepin sounds like just the ticket, if not without the odd tangley moment to sort out somewhere down the line (forgive the pun).

I’ve decided to splash out on a good reel as it will hopefully be an investment for life.

At the risk of sounding like an advert for a particular company, the new Hardy reels sounds amazing and received a rave review in the Angling Times recently.

See:

http://www.hardyfishing.com/index.php?if=v...221&pid=540

One is four inches and the other 4.5 inches.

If I’m going to get one, and it is such an investment, I want to make sure I get the right one.

What are the advantages for each size? Which is best at certain things and why?

Is it simply a case of what feels better for the size of your right hand when controlling the run off of line when trotting with your index and second finger and also when striking?

Hopefully I can try slinging one on a rod butt in the shop and see what both sizes feel like but it would be nice to go in well-informed when I make this important choice.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no right or wrong size really, the bigger reel will retrieve line slightly quicker, the smaller will be a little lighter to hold all day!

If you can take the rod you plan on using and try them both out on it, see which feels most comfortable when holding it in "trotting position"

While you are there take a look at the Okuma reels too, you might save a few quid :) My Okuma fishes just as well as my much more expensive Youngs reels

Mat

Mat

A 4.1/2" reel will cover most bases and is the most popular size go much above that and you are liable to think that you are fishing with a cartwheel !

Mat has given you a very sound piece of advice check out the Okuma reels either the Adventa Pro VT1002 or if you want something that some may argue is a little prettier the Sheffield verson.

Personally I would avoid the Kennet Version which is flawed in the design of the lineguard as it doesn't allow you to use the batting style of retrieve.

The Youngs range of reels are the next step up the price range but though are interesting to look at are no better in the real wold than the Okuma as fishing tools.

The Hardy reels that are being heavily hyped in the comics at the moment are no better as working reels the three handles are an attempt to create a unique selling point and in common with a great deal of Hardy stuff hugely overpriced. But if you are one of those with more money than sense feel free!!

One final point is that True centerpin action reels don't run on ball races the only bearing point is where the tip of the fine center pin touches the center adjusting grub screw for that reason they have to be fished with the reel handles pointing up to the sky so that single bearing point can be best used.

All of the reels mentioned in this message are designed to run on ball races and the reel works best when hanging below the rod with the handles facing the angler this is often the most comfortable position for prolonged trotting sessions hence the popularity of this type of reel.

Most of the true centerpin actioned reels are now priced in the collectors section of the market but the names to look out for are Richard Carter, Chris Lythe, and the Browning Revolver the first two are manufacturers and the last the finest true centerpin made by Youngs all of these will cost hurting amounts of money!!!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

As a bit of a centrepin tart, I have recently ordered a Chris Lythe who also makes a three handle model and as Alan Roe has pointed out at great cost but to be perfectly honest I must echo the advice of Mat Hillman which is to seriously look at the Okumas which are fantastic reels for the money.Another one worth looking out for is the Adcock Stanton which come up on e bay frequently. I also have several Youngs models and a Richard Carer but the Okuma Sheffields which I also have do the job of long trotting just as well and in some cases better. The only downside to me is the check button which I find fiddly and much prefer a lever check but that is only personal preference. As a tool to do the job, I dont think you will better the Okuma and at under the ton it is a reel bargain

As a bit of a centrepin tart, I have recently ordered a Chris Lythe who also makes a three handle model

What's the point of three, when the handles are only supplied for novices and are the first things to be removed?

(Not only are they line tangling devices, but add unnecessary weight, increasing inertia)

:)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

What's the point of three, when the handles are only supplied for novices and are the first things to be removed?

(Not only are they line tangling devices, but add unnecessary weight, increasing inertia)

I prefer a Pin with handles. I usually bat the reel to retreive the line but use the handles when bringing in a fish.

Try playing a double figure carp with your finger stuck in the spokes instead of using a handle :)

Mat

Mat

I was only making reference to the fact that Chris Lythe makes a model called the Branta with three handles like the Hardy. As a novice user of only 55 years I use both reels with handles and reels without but I do prefer them with even though as you say they can be a line tangling device if you are not concentrating and particularly if they are reverse tapered or if they sit too high on the drum:D