Tope - result of consultation

Hi IanFirstly - I applaud the efforts of those who initiated the consultation and respoded in such a resounding manner. However - I don't think that we should be using phrases like 'Tope are Europe's first RSA only species' because that certainly wasn't Defra's intensionAs you are obviously aware; They are not introducing these measures for the benefit of RSA, but for very real conservation reasons. Catch and release RSA is being tolerated for tope because such a good case was put forward by the anglers and RSA-related businesses who responed :clap2: . Which is in some way a victory, but certainly not a result upon which to rest our laurels or become complacent that Defra are at last on our side and tope will be the first of many RSA only species.I happen to think that prevention is better than cure in this instance and the combination of catch and release for hook and line and the bycatch limit should be enough to deter anyone from trying to make a quick buck out of angling for tope, although there will probably be some chancer who will try :rolleyes: .CheersSteve

Hi Steve I guess you would have an different reaction if this had been Bass we were talking about.

I wonder what the anglers reaction would be if there was a by-law put in place in this part of the world that stated that cod could not be fished for on a commercial level and anglers could only use a catch and release strategies for this fishery. I.e. the same by-law used for tope would be extended to cod. Remembering that our jurisdiction only extends too six miles out? Regards.

SSACN is proposing the very same thing under the name of Angling Centres

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with the tope law that defra announced, in my mind, catch and release by the rsa. I have heard of tope dying, or would not survive

Barry if a tope dies its down to bad practise.

I have had well over 8,500 tope over my gunnels and my other boats will have had the same between them. I can honestly say hand on heart I believe everyone went back OK.

If you start making rules like "If it's dead you can bring it in, then a tope can soon become dead if the angler wants it for eating"

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Steve I guess you would have an different reaction if this had been Bass we were talking about.

I think you're right Ian - I would be mightily cheesed off if bass were made the subject of a compulsory catch and release order, whereas I'm pleased that such protection has been afforded tope.

There was certainly no sour grapes intended in my post wrt the achievement of those who put the effort in and I hope that dogs and hounds follow.

My concern is that if phrases like 'tope are UK's first angling only species' are used by anglers, then Defra and our fisheries Minister will pick it up and say - 'look what we are doing for sea anglers - we've made tope a recreational only species. Now pay us your licence money'.

I just think that we are better focusing on the conservation value of the decision than blowing Defra's trumpet for them ;) .

Regards

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

Barry if a tope dies its down to bad practise.

I have had well over 8,500 tope over my gunnels and my other boats will have had the same between them. I can honestly say hand on heart I believe everyone went back OK.

If you start making rules like "If it's dead you can bring it in, then a tope can soon become dead if the angler wants it for eating"

Ian, would you say that every one have been hooked in the mouth and none have been unfortunatly deep hooked.

Personally i have not targeted tope to any extent, however that is something that i wish to do in the future. So perhaps you can give us some pointers as to what to avoid.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Personally i have not targeted tope to any extent, however that is something that i wish to do in the future. So perhaps you can give us some pointers as to what to avoid.

Part of the new measures is that RSA develop a Code of Practice for fishing for and handling tope.

Work on this is well advanced, largely undertaken by those with experience in Save Our Sharks.

The Code will be adopted and published on the NFSA website soon.

Remember too that the operation of the new measures, including how well the Code is operating, will be reviewed by DEFRA in 2010, with the possibility of some amendment where that is felt necessary.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Ian, would you say that every one have been hooked in the mouth and none have been unfortunatly deep hooked.

Check out for the

The When, Where & How of Tope Fishing

http://www.save-our-sharks.org/page.php?1

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I think you're right Ian - I would be mightily cheesed off if bass were made the subject of a compulsory catch and release order, whereas I'm pleased that such protection has been afforded tope.

There was certainly no sour grapes intended in my post wrt the achievement of those who put the effort in and I hope that dogs and hounds follow.

My concern is that if phrases like 'tope are UK's first angling only species' are used by anglers, then Defra and our fisheries Minister will pick it up and say - 'look what we are doing for sea anglers - we've made tope a recreational only species. Now pay us your licence money'.

I just think that we are better focusing on the conservation value of the decision than blowing Defra's trumpet for them ;) .

Regards

Steve

I personally think Defra need congratulating for the 5% bycatch on Spurdog introduced last December and now this on tope. The team responsible for elasmobranches at Defra are doing everything they can to introduce sensible shark management.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Defra need congratulating!. What planet are you from?. What difference do you honestly think this is going to make. Tope are still going to caught and thrown back dead, another massive step forward in fish conservation. I bet this consultation has cost millions of pounds and a few years to dream up, when you would get a more efficient measure from the nearest primary school. Its so convenient that our European neighbours are yet again unaffected.

Out of interest was the idea of introducing an MLS ever discussed?.