recommendations please

maver_fan

I think they must be Lutra.

Ive not been there but seem to remeber Salmon fishing in the Orkadien lochs as well from articles in Trout Fisherman? Might be wrong though and dont want to risk a brush with Corys rubber bands!

Or am I confussing Orkneys with Shetlands? No Cory Nooooooo!

You've not read the whole tread by the looks of things Budgie. You can opt for the Lapp dance if you prefer. ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like i said, Ive not been to Orkney, but just because it has no rivers doesn't mean the lochs aren't or haven't been connected to the sea.

Would they not have been sterilised, AND wasn't that a point was making myself :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I don't think maver fan will think its been a pointless debate, we've probably saved him pointlessly freezing his jewels off.

Never mind your jewels, its your marbles now you need to worry about.

What do you mean by Would they not have been sterilised, ?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

In Orkney they fly fish for seatrout off the beach.

The nearest thing to a river connecting a loch to the sea is a 50 yard tidal stretch connecting Stenness to Scapa Flow. Stenness can be quite saline and I have caught flounder and brown trout on the fly on consecutive casts.

Cory, no coarse fish in Caithness or Sutherland as far as I know.

The farthest North that I know of roach, Grayling or carp is Pitlochry.

There are a few lochs just North and West of Inverness that hold Pike Perch and Eels.

Bruce Sandison the angling author maintains there are no natural pike populations north of the Great Glen

There may be Perch and Eels but no-one fishes for them

Why, fancy and exploratory trip? :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Cory, no coarse fish in Caithness or Sutherland as far as I know.

The farthest North that I know of roach, Grayling or carp is Pitlochry.

There are a few lochs just North and West of Inverness that hold Pike Perch and Eels.

Bruce Sandison the angling author maintains there are no natural pike populations north of the Great Glen

There may be Perch and Eels but no-one fishes for them

Why, fancy and exploratory trip? :)

No as was forming a hypotheses in my head to explain to arkay why there are trout on the islands, but no course fish. I was fairly confident that there were no coarse fish up in the heilans, was pretty sure you would be a good "phone a friend" on the subject.

Thanks

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

thankyou for all your advice. (now to learn how to spin and sea fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
It's just a big salty lake.