Fishing/angling television programmes

fruitloopy

Can anyone point me towards fishing/angling programmes on TV at the moment? Is there a particular channel I should be watching? If its on during the day I can setup to record it. I am on freeview so those channels would be preferred.

I dont mind repeats as I have not seen any of them anyway!

Thanks,

Simon

Can anyone point me towards fishing/angling programmes on TV at the moment? Is there a particular channel I should be watching? If its on during the day I can setup to record it. I am on freeview so those channels would be preferred.

I dont mind repeats as I have not seen any of them anyway!

Thanks,

Simon

Discovery Real time will become a fishing channel for four months from March 31. There will of course be lots of repeats but I for one welcome the return of angling programmes. Good to see and hopefully a few new programmes will be commissioned.

Programmes to watch out for include the superb and classic 'A Passion for Angling'. Beautifully filmed by Hugh Miles and a charming look at fishing with a nod to its traditions. Does it look a touch contrived now? Perhaps. But undoubtedly the best fishing programme ever made and Chris Yates and Bob James bounce off each other so well.

Matt Hayes and Mick Brown's journeys to capture big fish or fish their way across the UK and Ireland aren't anywhere near in terms of production values but the programmes are good value nonetheless. Another double act that work well together.

John Wilson is liked by some and not by others but you have to admire someone who has had programmes on angling on TV for so long. Renowned for his laugh and his sayings. "What a clonker." "it's not a monster." "Come on, let's have a look at you." and "...it really is." (Anybody else remember his or other famous angler's phrases?)

A lesser known but fun programme is Day Ticket. Richard and Trevor's light hearted trips to fish a variety of waters is at times slapstick but not necessarily bad for that. The pair who present the programme are very likeable and exude a certain warmth. They deserve the chance to make another series.

Coming up soon is the film/series Catching the Impossible which sees famous angler Martin Bowler team up with filmmaker Hugh Miles - something that is rumoured to be a classic and one to look out for...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Discovery Real time will become a fishing channel for four months from March 31. There will of course be lots of repeats but I for one welcome the return of angling programmes. Good to see and hopefully a few new programmes will be commissioned.

Programmes to watch out for include the superb and classic 'A Passion for Angling'. Beautifully filmed by Hugh Miles and a charming look at fishing with a nod to its traditions. Does it look a touch contrived now? Perhaps. But undoubtedly the best fishing programme ever made and Chris Yates and Bob James bounce off each other so well.

Matt Hayes and Mick Brown's journeys to capture big fish or fish their way across the UK and Ireland aren't anywhere near in terms of production values but the programmes are good value nonetheless. Another double act that work well together.

John Wilson is liked by some and not by others but you have to admire someone who has had programmes on angling on TV for so long. Renowned for his laugh and his sayings. "What a clonker." "it's not a monster." "Come on, let's have a look at you." and "...it really is." (Anybody else remember his or other famous angler's phrases?)

A lesser known but fun programme is Day Ticket. Richard and Trevor's light hearted trips to fish a variety of waters is at times slapstick but not necessarily bad for that. The pair who present the programme are very likeable and exude a certain warmth. They deserve the chance to make another series.

Coming up soon is the film/series Catching the Impossible which sees famous angler Martin Bowler team up with filmmaker Hugh Miles - something that is rumoured to be a classic and one to look out for...

I forgot to mention The Compleat Angler with Geoffrey Palmer and Rae Borras. They follow in the footsteps of Izaak Walton's classic book and really bring it to life for 21st century viewers. Great stuff. Geoffrey Palmer and Rae Borras are entertaining , funny and informative.

I like the fact they fish on the River Lea, one of my haunts. They seem to catch a lot more fish than me though... I'm normally staring glumly at my float trying to ignore the signal crayfish lumbering by and very plump cormorants hanging out on their perches...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just come back to this post and seen your replies.

Thanks for that. I have watched A Passion for Angling so many times and was looking for anything else similar. It looks like The Compleat Angler could be what I am looking for.

Cathing the Impossible also sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks.

Fruitloopy, if you're after something on freeview then I caught a few of The Accidental Angler repeats on Dave over the weekend.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Fruitloopy, if you're after something on freeview then I caught a few of The Accidental Angler repeats on Dave over the weekend.

but if you wait till the summer there is a brand new broadband TV channel being launched with nothing but new programming o an on demand platform. there will be a minimum of 80 new programmes a year plus imports from around the word.

All devised and filmed by the production company that have produced a lot of the discovery programmes including day ticket and the compleat angler. :)

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

I read about that internet tv channel but I cant remember what it was called. It was a collection of countryside sports like showjumping and stuff. I'll google it.

I cant wait for that Catching the Impossible series, that looks great.

Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll point my recorder towards Dave TV.

i tihnk the channel you might be referring to is horse and country tv.

i caught a load of fishing programmes just before xmas on discovery and aside from Matt Hayes' tooth and his insistence on saying "actually" all the time, there was a good variety on.

i tihnk the channel you might be referring to is horse and country tv.

i caught a load of fishing programmes just before xmas on discovery and aside from Matt Hayes' tooth and his insistence on saying "actually" all the time, there was a good variety on.

Just to clarify, the internet TV channel is nothing whatsoever to do with Horse and country and will only be available over t'internet.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk