Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

Here's a couple of things I'm pointing out well in advance so that you can be prepared.

If you're after the bream do make sure that you've got extra long banksticks plus bobbins on a long drop.

If you use your standard set up you'll very much reduce you're chance of a bream, that as many of you know could well be the next British record - we've already had them up to 18-06!

Here's what I posted last year:

Banksticks: I've been asked how long is long in relation to banksticks. The absolute minimum I'd recommend is 30ins/75cms closed. It would be better to use 42ins/105cms ones. This also happens to be the size of my storm poles. The latter size are also useful on the swims that have platforms and gt through the slats.

The reason if you recall is so that you can tell if you've got a line bite or a proper take. Line bites are especially common with big bream because of their shape. And if you strike a line bite by mistake you can almost certainly kiss your chances by for the rest of the Fish-In!

I've 5 pairs I can lend out, 1st come, 1st served.

Bobbins: You'll also for the same reason need bobbins on long drops - standard carp bobbins, swingers etc aren't much use here. I've 4 I can lend out - again 1st come, 1st served.

For details of my homemade bobbins go to post 86 at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...ins#entry747515 All you need is a Gardner line clip, some wire or line, an isotope/Starlite, and some heavy shot. This topic should also give you plenty of other ideas in time for the Fish-in.

Remember that bream in waters like Wingham are almost entirely nocturnal. So you may decide to fish different tactics at night.

In particular, with big bream don't be in a hurry to strike as they hang onto the bait quite a while. In fact, if you wait until your reel starts turning you won't go far wrong.

I can't stress these points enough. Last year not many of you took much notice! Richard Capper did though, and he had bream of 15-11 and 16-04, not to mention 17 big tench!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always told that the best way to catch big bream was to do everything you possibly could to avoid them :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

just to add ,bring plenty of tea (glyn wingham baillif and Professional tea drinker) :fish:

catch ya later glyn

Glynn as you know Im a coke addict! (Diet Coke that is!) but as I owe you and Terry so much for carting me and my gear about I will make the effort to ensure Andrew packs the brew kit this year!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Glynn as you know Im a coke addict! (Diet Coke that is!) but as I owe you and Terry so much for carting me and my gear about I will make the effort to ensure Andrew packs the brew kit this year!

It look like I been promoted to the tea boy :rolleyes: - Is that ordinary tea or lemon tea?

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

It look like I been promoted to the tea boy :rolleyes: - Is that ordinary tea or lemon tea?

its got to be PG for me . :D

there might be a warm spell on the way about the end of the month . time to start looking for those big bream and tench.

bad season for bream for me last year changed tatics .played around with different baits and ground bait and got it all wrong

but can't complain had a pb tench 9lb 1oz on my float rod :clap:

ill let you know how its going, before you lot arrive

catch ya later glyn

its got to be PG for me . :D

there might be a warm spell on the way about the end of the month . time to start looking for those big bream and tench.

bad season for bream for me last year changed tatics .played around with different baits and ground bait and got it all wrong

but can't complain had a pb tench 9lb 1oz on my float rod :clap:

ill let you know how its going, before you lot arrive

catch ya later glyn

Glyn , not that i'm trying to get a jump on the others but *cough cough - nudge nudge* ;) does Wingham lend itself to float fishing in the margins for the Tench ? i'm not really a big chuck kind of fisherman and prefer the 2 rod lengths out max type stylee....

Glyn , not that i'm trying to get a jump on the others but *cough cough - nudge nudge* ;) does Wingham lend itself to float fishing in the margins for the Tench ? i'm not really a big chuck kind of fisherman and prefer the 2 rod lengths out max type stylee....

i tend to fish close in all the time ,on the float about 2/3 rod lengths ,ground bait night before then float fish early dawn but i tend to loose feed only in the morning so i dont spook them .

also i always fish a slider some swims deep close in.

on ledgers i fish feeders ,inline leads or running rigs and at about 30yds max but you need to have a long drop on your bobbins as you could start striking on line bites .

another important note the bars at wingham are steep with large stones on top ,if you fish over the back of them you often get a cut off so i tend to fish the facing slope

hope this helps

catch ya later glyn