seat box

thornabyangler

im currently looking for a new seat box.It is maily for feedier fishing on my local river tees.I would consider myself as a serious angler and i suppose i could say that i will consider all prices.

I just cant justify paying 700 quid for a milo seat box when i can get a preston on box for half that.

Is the tardis really worth the cash?

are there any alternatives,i am not one for big names , so cheaper alternatives are welcome,but if the big names are the best then i spose i better bite the bullet and go for it.

Any advice?

My past experince of conti - seatboxes:

Browning river box - nice box, let down by poor hinges, lifting the top section the hinges would often drift apart. The hinges are designed like this so as to make the box modular. Also the top section had no stop - so it would go right over, putting a lot of strain on the base hinges.

Boss box. Same issues really, nice sturdy sqaure leg system though. I prefer side drawers, this was a problem with this box as the drawers were blocked by the legs in certain positions. also the locking pin system, whereby you withdraw the pin to allow the drawers to be opened, not really what you expect on a product costing this much money.

Kiley river box - Best by far, Each lift up section has a metal stay which supports and locks in position. Each drawer has an independent ball catch at the back for positive locking. It's big well made and I could not find fault with it!

Despite being very pleased with the Kiley, I no longer have that one either - the fishing I do doesn't suit a conti-box, my river fishing is now one net, one rod, and a small bucket type bag containing all I need. Must say I enjoy it all the more for taking all the less ! ( mind you a chalkstream is a very different beast to the Tees !! )

I have a Brilo bosx which is very well built and i love it.

If your river fishing, i woud strongly suggest getting a Penrose XL barrow. The barrow can also be used as a platform with various attachments and makes a great staging for your box to sit on.

I recently bought a milo mille 100. its the best £600 i spent. I know it seems excessive, but i worked out that buy the time i bought all the extra parts that come as standard with the milo i was almost on £600 anyway. plus you get the oppotunity of raising your box quite high, the legs extend at two points and the seat also raises above the foot plate, giving you more comfort and if you fishing canal or riverlifts your box out of the water without buying more legs. Also build quality is fantastic, my personal opinion. The one draw back is it can get very heavy.

I have a Fox competition box, very pleased with it in the few weeks I,ve had it. RRP is £250 but you can get one mail order from Climax Tackle near sheffield for £210. You'll probably need to spend another £50 on accessories (side trays, winder boxes etc.)

My mates got a Preston On box, he's well pleased with it - a bit more expensive though.

I have to say though, that I had a Little Gem 6 drawer box for 4 years previously, cost me £130, I absolutely hammered it every week and it was brilliant, still is. I suppose its only vanity that made me change.

David C dont buy any valuable goods from climax....if they go wrong you have a proper fight on your hands trying to get a replacement or your moneyback. Ive seen many a disheartened angler trying to get their money back from faulty goods there(2mins down road).

Im not saying they are a bad tackle shop infact they are by far the best around here! Its just their returns policy that stops me buying anything of value there!

Dont forget they have a very extensive range of tackle.

The most expensive piece of kit i have bought was a top 4 for my pole at £30.