Big bream

Anderoo

Could you not overlay Anderoo's large map with a grid and use a grid reference system for location? You could also show slices through the lake to show depth, heck, you could even model that in 3D on the PC.

Edited to remove information which could be used to identify the lake.

P.S. Have you thought of entering all catch reports into a member accessible searchable database showing all pertinent info, and with the ability to produce charts and graphs.

We'll be doing something along the lines of what you've suggested. It'll also include where we've had line bites, although these points will be shown separately.

I'd love to have a 3D map of the lake but there are so many ups and downs, most of which are too deep to show on aerial/satellite photos, that it would be an impractical task with today's technology. However I believe Humminbird who make fishfinders are working on this. I'll be visiting the UK HQ soon and will get an update then.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I travel to and from work by bus through open countryside, so I have lots of time to look out of the window and daydream. I often pass fields with cows or sheep in them, and it often makes me think about bream fishing.

The comparison is often made between bream and cows in a field - moving slowly around the field, grazing here and there, staying in their little group.

When I see a field of a couple of acres with a dozen or so cows, I think - they could be anywhere in that field, but they're all in that little corner. What are the odds of working that out?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I travel to and from work by bus through open countryside, so I have lots of time to look out of the window and daydream. I often pass fields with cows or sheep in them, and it often makes me think about bream fishing.

The comparison is often made between bream and cows in a field - moving slowly around the field, grazing here and there, staying in their little group.

When I see a field of a couple of acres with a dozen or so cows, I think - they could be anywhere in that field, but they're all in that little corner. What are the odds of working that out?

This came up in a conversation that Andrew and I were having earlier today. I reckon that Andrew has really hit the nail on the head here!

Think of a field and just a small herd of cows meaning that nearly all the field is deserted. It sounds like Wingham and bream doesn't it? Apart from Wingham being 40 acres not 3!

Now take it a stage further. Imagine you're a blind man casting a hook baited with a few grains of sweetcorn into a 40 acre field. What are the odds that it'll land anywhere near the cows? How long would it take for the cows to go to this area, especially when where they're at the other end of the field that anyway is full of thick fresh new grass?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

This came up in a conversation that Andrew and I were having earlier today. I reckon that Andrew has really hit the nail on the head here!

Think of a field and just a small herd of cows meaning that nearly all the field is deserted. It sounds like Wingham and bream doesn't it? Apart from Wingham being 40 acres not 3!

Now take it a stage further. Imagine you're a blind man casting a hook baited with a few grains of sweetcorn into a 40 acre field. What are the odds that it'll land anywhere near the cows? How long would it take for the cows to go to this area, especially when where they're at the other end of the field that anyway is full of thick fresh new grass?

Or imagine that the cows are there all right - but invisible! I.e. no visible clues as to where they could be.

You could cast over them or right on top of them and scare them (possible); nowhere near them (likely); or away from them but on the route they'll end up taking (unlikely!).

Even if they do, when they come along will they bother to stop? If they do, will they feed? If they do, will they eat your hookbait?

I don't think I'll bother :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hmm I reckon Richard must have allready made up a batch of his "special brew" and these two have been field testing it! :D

Mind you Ive not had any and so its equally worrying that my first thoughts were that a fully grown cow would give a good scrap on a 1 3/4lb rod and theres not much chance that I would ever fancy a bream steak! :wacko::blink:

It is a good analagy though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Or imagine that the cows are there all right - but invisible! I.e. no visible clues as to where they could be.

Aaah, but factor in where they get fed, where they get water, where they like to sunbathe or shelter from the rain and then you need to fill the field with loads of bigs hills and hedges that they need to negotiate to get from A to B I reckon its much easier.

Can you tell I'm an optimist? If Wingham was one large featureless bowl I'd be really worried!

Rich

Can you tell I'm an optimist?

On a serious note, that is a very good point! You obviously get a lot of other things right too, but I'm sure optimism is as important as location and feeding. I only wish I had more!

• 2 weeks later...

Southerly(ish) winds, mild, new moon, not much natural food about - maybe someone will strike it lucky this weekend!

Maybe it will be me!

(Well, it might be :rolleyes: It can't be Richard again, can it? :D )

I've been having a huge crisis of confidence for the last few days, but after re-reading a few bits of this topic I've calmed down again. I think I know what I'm doing, and I'm going to try a new swim too.

Here we go again... best of luck chaps B)

Southerly(ish) winds, mild, new moon, not much natural food about - maybe someone will strike it lucky this weekend!

Maybe it will be me!

I've been having a huge crisis of confidence for the last few days, but after re-reading a few bits of this topic I've calmed down again. I think I know what I'm doing, and I'm going to try a new swim too.

Maybe it will be me!