syringe help

chesters1

i bought this beast for sucking out battery acid from a battery to replace the acid ,its a 100ml syringe ,it wasn't cheap :o

trouble is the 95% sulphuric acid i drew from the bottle to dilute down to the correct mix has eaten away the rubber? washer that forms the seal.

i havn't a clue who made the syringe and the chemist said it was old stock and he had no more (wasn't old stock prices though).

does any of our care workers know if you can buy just the seals ? probably not but it wasnt i expect for innoculations or intravenous use but probably irrigation (i certainly wouldn't like an injection from it!!) cheers

at a fiver i would like to get more than one use from it! its a great bit of kit for transferring liquid ,i used it to get the brake fluid out the resivoir before removing it when i put a new one in (saved the cars paintwork from drips) 1000 and one uses!!

theres no makers name on the syringe so i can approach the makers.

syringes are cool the tiny ones make great spot oilers the larger ones for grease or wax and make topping up honda 90 batteries easy ,must get some more of all sizes plus the spikes.

theres plenty on ebay but nothing over a whimpy 60ml :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought this beast for sucking out battery acid from a battery to replace the acid ,its a 100ml syringe ,it wasn't cheap :o

trouble is the 95% sulphuric acid i drew from the bottle to dilute down to the correct mix has eaten away the rubber? washer that forms the seal.

i havn't a clue who made the syringe and the chemist said it was old stock and he had no more (wasn't old stock prices though).

does any of our care workers know if you can buy just the seals ? probably not but it wasnt i expect for innoculations or intravenous use but probably irrigation (i certainly wouldn't like an injection from it!!) cheers

at a fiver i would like to get more than one use from it! its a great bit of kit for transferring liquid ,i used it to get the brake fluid out the resivoir before removing it when i put a new one in (saved the cars paintwork from drips) 1000 and one uses!!

theres no makers name on the syringe so i can approach the makers.

syringes are cool the tiny ones make great spot oilers the larger ones for grease or wax and make topping up honda 90 batteries easy ,must get some more of all sizes plus the spikes

Hmmm, You sure you bought it for transferring liquids.... :P Looks suspiciously like an "enlargement tool"... :lol: not that I ever ever need, or needed one.. :D

Why not try an engineers merchants, they usually do a full range of "O" rings...:):) If you cant get them, post or scan one, and send it, and I'll go to my Pet Engineers Merchants ;) They can even be made to measure for awkward sizes..:)

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

hi norrie ,unfortunately (i had the same thought)its not an "0" ring is a flat washer ,i'v tried my large selection of rings but they are either to fat when mounted or too thin and squash into the groove ,if you put on several (to fill the deep groove )then the top "O" ring isnt flexible enough to adjust to the bore or if you use a thinner one on top it comes off :(

the washer (before it desolved) had a very thin outer "ring" (half the thickness of the washer itself) that was flexible enough to form a seal on the bore ,my mrs just whisked it away for a elastic band washer :idea: and failed miseably :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

hi norrie ,unfortunately (i had the same thought)its not an "0" ring is a flat washer ,i'v tried my large selection of rings but they are either to fat when mounted or too thin and squash into the groove ,if you put on several (to fill the deep groove )then the top "O" ring isnt flexible enough to adjust to the bore or if you use a thinner one on top it comes off :(

Hmmm, Well scan one, mail it to me... and let me know how thick it is, I'll go up on Monday, its amazing what they hold in stock..... :D Its like the Harrods of the engineering world...they havent been stumped yet mate...if they cant supply, for certain they will know where to get them,..nothing to lose, so.... ;)

BTW, could you make one from sheet neoprene of the same thickness??

Theocritis..

not sure i could cut it with microscopic accuracy :(

the center hole is approx 28mm across ,the outer would have been approx 41/42mm across (from outside to outside) and its approx 2mm thick,

note to myself buy digital calipers :D

i noticed it had perished when 95% sulphuric dripped onto concrete as i moved from the concentate bottle to the glass mixing bottle :D

you can just see the finer ring on the outside (well whats left of it)

the chip s an unfortunate dismantling error which makes it unable to enlarge errrr suck anything now.

pretty poor show manufacturing wise how could nasa take acid blood samples from aliens?

Edited by chesters1

not sure i could cut it with microscopic accuracy :(

the center hole is approx 28mm across ,the outer would have been approx 41/42mm across (from outside to outside) and its approx 2mm thick,

note to myself buy digital calipers :D

i noticed it had perished when 95% sulphuric dripped onto concrete as i moved from the concentate bottle to the glass mixing bottle :D

you can just see the finer ring on the outside (well whats left of it)

the chip s an unfortunate dismantling error which makes it unable to enlarge errrr suck anything now

So, I take it , it has a "step" on it, on the outside of the washer??? so to speak?? did it shrink any ??

D'you want a set of calipers sent down..got a set here you can have, old, like me, but I dont use them:):)

Theocritis..

So, I take it , it has a "step" on it, on the outside of the washer??? so to speak?? did it shrink any ??

D'you want a set of calipers sent down..got a set here you can have, old, like me, but I dont use them:) :)

no it dissolved away ,got mechanical calipers but dodgy eyesight ,i will get a digital display one off ebay next payday,i used to make pcb's down to 0.05mm track gap now i cant even see the whole board :D

tried using my "fagin" or tight jewlery buyers eye glass attachements but even they can't help measure something thats not there :blink:

in trying to find them i see the 6oml ones are great for filling namod steam engines FEERRRETTTT!

Edited by chesters1

Not sure if it will help Chesters ...

Catering/Kitchen shops and suppliers do a very similar thing for piping icing/potato mash etc.

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Not sure if it will help Chesters ...

Catering/Kitchen shops and suppliers do a very similar thing for piping icing/potato mash etc.

oooh will take a peek in aldershot next visit! cheers

Right Dave, So, Two neporene washers on top of each other 1mm thick should do it then...will work out the sizes, and take the pic up with me on Monday..:)

Theocritis..