Help needed please

colinc1968

Hello Colin and welcome to Anglers Net :)

Really, it depends on what you want to catch; what is good for carp will not work for roach. Most newcomers to the sport decide to go after big fish right from the start, and in their minds that means huge carp. That is not really the way to go, so I would suggest going for smaller fish like dace, perch, rudd and the aforementioned roach first, and get a feel for handling fish before going onto the bigger stuff. For those, you will need a light rod of about 1.5lb test curve (or less), 4lb mainline with a 3lb leader (that way, if the fish breaks the line, all you will lose is a short length of line and not all your end-tackle). A selection of floats, my choice being the Drennan Insert Waggler, split shot and of course, hooks between size 10 and 16.

Bait - maggots have been favoured for centuries, with corn, hempseed, tares, prawns (for perch) and bread. The weekly angling papers nearly always have 'best baits for February' type articles, might be an idea to peruse them :)

If you have any questions (and I'm sure you will), just ask on here. We like answering questions :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hi I've just taken up freshwater fishing and I really don't get all the different baits and tackle etc ie what baits are best different rod types etc I'm really lost! ...last time I went fishing was with bread..thanks for any help

Believe it or not, fish still eat bread. ;)

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

If you can tell us where you are going to fish (or at least the type of water you are aiming to fish) and the type of fish you are hoping to target then it would make it a lot easier for us to advise you.

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Carp rods will be too heavy for anything smaller than carp such as roach, rudd or perch.

The way I learned was with an affordable (£100 all in for rod reel floats weights) setup for these smaller species under 2lb in weight (roach, rudd, perch). They are called float rods or waggler rods, 12ft long, 4lb mono mainline to a size 20 hook and a single maggot. It doesnt get any easier (well you could look at small elasticated whips and pole floats).

It's probably the best to start with if you want to unwind as its not overly complicated such as fishing 3 heavy carp rods and the sometimes overly complicated rigs and methods used to catch carp, I cant believe I just said capr and complicatred in the same sentance :lol:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I don't know the membership prices, but Eastleigh & District angling club had some nice waters with a mix of species

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

So I need a waggler rod ok I'll get one of them....how do I know if I'm fishing at the right depth....sorry to be asking really stupid stuff but this is all new to me... I Was about 12 last time I fished many many years ago.... Is there any good books that will help me or magazines but they all seem aimed at people who know what they are doing and not the complete novice