floating beads

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi

Just bought a packet of multicoloured floating beads (size of a 1 oz drilled bullet lead) from Veals and was making some traces and wondered how many to use - obviously it has to do with the size and weight of the bait but has anyone got any guidelines?

I put three on an Aberdeen 1/0 hook with the intention of using either a small mackerel strip or lugworm... is this too many or too few? :confused:

Thanks

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Keiran.

The only use I`ve found for floating beads, is to keep the bait out of the range of doggies.

This doesn`t always work.

I`m not sure why they`re made. What purpose they serve. Keep trying and let us now what happens? I`ve given up on them. Doggies have manged to climb quite a few foot ( 4 beads) to grab a few frozen sand eels, on a 20ft trace.

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Floating beads give the bait a degree of "lift", either in part or full, so it is more likely to move in the current, spread scent better and be seen more easily . It is more commonly used to avoid bottom crawlers like crabs and whelks. I have never known them to be used to avoid doggies, who can swim up and down as well as forwards.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Norrie:

Hey, Taylor..when did you get back...all burnt eh!!!    :cool:        :D  

Sorry Norrie, got back home Wed morning 0200 been sick as ....since Dec 26th. 3 doctors and in hospital on Monday afternoon, will get back to you.

Oh yeah, black as the ace of spades on a good day, grey on others.

Your Pheasants plate on ebay (norrie1956), there is a certain Pheasant plucker on the sea section that should be interested

Give me time to get sorted and Happy New Year to you, Shiona and family (especially that bloody dog)

Alan(nl)

Sorry Kieran to go off topic but Norrie started it :D

[ 11. January 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/