How did that get named?

poledark

Walking thro the woods today, I spotted a Peacock butterfly. Why Peacock? easy peasy, it's got two big eye markings on the wings.

Now it occurred to me that the person who named it, must have been familiar with peacocks before he/she first saw said specie of butterfly?

So what was it called by the yokels who had never seen a peacock?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Walking thro the woods today, I spotted a Peacock butterfly. Why Peacock? easy peasy, it's got two big eye markings on the wings.

Now it occurred to me that the person who named it, must have been familiar with peacocks before he/she first saw said specie of butterfly?

So what was it called by the yokels who had never seen a peacock?

Den

Crickey Den you must be bored :lol:

A lot of old English names for animals have been preceeded Yathel woodpecker,Brock badger,Flittermouse Bat but I Cat help you with this one.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

hmmmm spurred on by your question i peeked on the web ,i cant see a name yokels would have used as it seems the romans may have eaten peacocks so the name is very old ,in medieval times they were common .

a farmer used to call his sparrows mollyhead sparrows so no doupt a bit of research may come up with an answer to yours ,the molly head bit was i believe because of the dark bonnet bit on the sparrows head who molly was is probably lost?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

hmmmm spurred on by your question i peeked on the web ,i cant see a name yokels would have used as it seems the romans may have eaten peacocks so the name is very old ,in medieval times they were common .

a farmer used to call his sparrows mollyhead sparrows so no doupt a bit of research may come up with an answer to yours ,the molly head bit was i believe because of the dark bonnet bit on the sparrows head who molly was is probably lost?

Mollys always used to be Marys untill It became a trendy name in its own right The virgin Mary is often depicted as wearing a head scarf or shawl.

Maybe? :huh:

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

still nothing on Dens question ,you maybe right but strangely i cant find one molly head sparrow just a hen!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Interesting (?) local gypsy George calls sparrows "Mollies"..but I think he calls all little brown birds that :)

FB..me bored :) Just thought I may start another row (oops) , discussion :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

perhaps he worked for the farmer (in hawkinge)

although it was house sparrow shape it had a very dark head ,perhaps a colour variant its not a house sparrow colour but appeared (as he said) to have a mop cap ,we only seem to have two versions but i have noted that colouration also in the warren so perhaps a naughty french sparrow hopped across and gave some english fillies a seeing to in the past?

the ones around his barns all had the same head colouration and they were thick on the ground then ,i miss the cheep cheep they were very common in bromley as a kid but just common house ones not mop capped ,theres none around here.

the sound takes me back to south street dozing in a chair in the summer heat with just the sparrows cheeping AAAAHHHHH

Edited by chesters1

Interesting (?) local gypsy George calls sparrows "Mollies"..but I think he calls all little brown birds that :)

FB..me bored :) Just thought I may start another row (oops) , discussion :)

Den

Den,

Not old George from the Sturry road permanant site by any chance ?

انا آكل كل الفطائر

Not him FB, this one lives in a small encampment close by Loggies at Chartham..

Den

Chesters is probably right, most things are down to the Romans. :huh:

On the Island we have three rivers, Medina, Yar and Yar! :rolleyes:

The name Medina came from the Anglo-Saxon Meðune = "the middle one", As to the other two, it is widely thought/rumored that since Anglo~Saxon for 'River' was 'yar', that the Romans, as they went about drawing maps asked the local names of places and animals and wrote them in their own term. They obviously said to some local "what is this?" pointing at the water. The local obviously said "It's a river you daft Roman dork"...........

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."