Bass Fishing Lures

Dan

Ok Guys, whats your favourite and most sucessful bass fishing lure for inshore waters? Mine's a 28gm Toby but I want to try some others with confidence this year!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did pretty well last year with Storm jointed thunder sticks. I did even better with small cheap shadrap type lures which also turned up plenty of nice wrase.

I'd love to have got the surface action going, but they wouldn't have it on the venues I was fishing.

My holiday was to Devon and the local beaches were shingle running down to a mix of rocks and sand. If theres one tip I'd give for this type of venue, it'd be: Fish at low tide.

That way, the lure is being fished over structure rather than most of the retrieve being over dead shingle.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My most successful lures for bass have to be Rapala CDJ-18s (or smaller). (The CJD stands for Countdown Jointed). Most people use plain J- Rapalas, but I find that the CJDs have a slightly different, and more successful action.

They don't cast too far but, at least where I fish (mostly from the concerete apron of Folkestone Warren, over the rocks) most strikes come almost under the rod tip.

If there is an onshore wind, then a Dexter Wedge punches out into the wind. Although a heavy lump, the shape of the lure planes it up toward the sea's surface and you can skip it through the waves if your work it fast. They seem to be less of a problem when there is a lot of weed in the water. When the conditions are weedy, I'll replace the hooks with a single hook with a 'wreck guard' (that's a piece of light wire from the eye to the point which guides weed away from the gape).

The bass seem to prefer hunting in the surface layer, perhaps so that they can dive down onto their prey when they are actively hunting (rather than scavenging, or rooting for crabs on the bottom - they seem to do that when the water is colder and will ignore lures).

However, on occasions I've also used a Fat Rap when shallower lures haven't attracted much interest, but not on all occasions by any means.

Poppers are also an effective bass lure, especially at night, though I must admit I haven't used them much.

At night, the bigger bass come close inshore, but beware showing any lights.

Also look for an incoming tide where the water sweeps over sun-warmed mud/sand as darkness approaches. That too seems to bring them in.

If you are giving bass a go with pike tackle, give preference to the long minnow shaped lures.

Don't forget to rinse your gear and lures in freshwater, after use in slatwater, and spray your lures and reels with WD-40, both before and after the trip.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Around here(Isle of Wight) the yozuri crystal minnow seems to be the one for most catches.

I like a small white rubber eel with a bubble float for the casting weight.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

I've used rappalas, the mackeral one but as you say it doesnt cast very well. I tend to cast from my drifting dingy about 100-300 yards off shore that way I can cover an enormous area of water but most takes from reasonable fish come 30 or 40 yards away although big bass often follow the lure right up to the boat then dive off at the last moment to taunt me!

With Plugs I take off the central treble hook, its not necessary and avoids line tangle esp when casting up wind.

I used a popper last year and caught a magnificent specimen, unfortunately it was a herring gull! so I've avoided them since.

Keep em coming!

Dan :)

Dan,

People are probably sick of me stating this but my absolute favourite bass spinner has to be the Kilty Catcher with red flash (28g). It casts exceptionally well and is usefull over shallow beach situations that I fish here in Wexford. They'll zing out to about 60 yards if the wind is slack. Had an 8lb bass on one last autumn, mmm, role on the sunny mornings... Also good are tobys with a little blue on one side (these can pick up some sea trout too at the right venue).

I love plugging but have never had a bass to a plug (yet!). Plenty of success with pike but the bass seem to be less obliging. Unfortunatley I don't really have the deep rock locations for them around my area, which could be a factor.

Neil.

if you have trouble casting light lures for bass,

jellie worms,redgills and plugs,try a surface controller, i think freshwater men use them???.i use a 28gram{1oz}with a 7ft trace,don!t know why but it dosn!t tangle,and lets me fish at any distance near or far

fishy1:

if you have trouble casting light lures for bass,

jellie worms,redgills and plugs,try a surface controller,

What one of them then?!

Neil... watch out catching sea trout, if you keep them you need a game licence whether its caught in fresh or salt water. Having said that I like those tobies with the flash as well. They are at their best at the end of the summer when the sprats are in.

Dan