Who fishes the pole?

Dave H

Anyone remember them being called 'roach poles' when they first came out?

I don't think anyone can remember that far back. Izaak Walton would have used a pole, not the rod/reel setup most of us use nowadays.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I don't think anyone can remember that far back. Izaak Walton would have used a pole, not the rod/reel setup most of us use nowadays.

Not one made of hollow composites though! :D

Remember when they had an aluminium crook at the end?

I keep thinking about buying a new pole. I've got an 11m Browning that was quite a decent bit of mid-range kit when I got it. But that was over 25 years ago, and it's now horribly floppy and heavy. I hardly ever use it, but if I got a new one I might use it a lot more.

Cheeky bugger...

I keep thinking about buying a new pole. I've got an 11m Browning that was quite a decent bit of mid-range kit when I got it. But that was over 25 years ago, and it's now horribly floppy and heavy. I hardly ever use it, but if I got a new one I might use it a lot more.

This is a family run site so i will leave it there but your last paragraph i could only agree more :nono:

• Like 2

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Anglers do it with a big pole....

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Stick a bush on the

Stick a bush on the end to help with lubrication, should stiffen it up

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I had a couple in the 70's shakespear glass things one was bright red ,i learnt my lesson and stooped before my arm stretched to long ,i did elasticate one which made it easier to use but they were telescopic then so no unshipping the top to land the fish ,a bit of grit and you were trying to grab the fish just out of reach LOL

I started with a 10meter Shakespeare telescopic whip as well.

Cut the end off, stuck on a bush and elasticated the top two sections with no4 elastic.

This was soon upgraded to a heavier grade as decent fish had to be landed on the full ten metres with the thing behind me at around 45deg!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I've used whips (3 Mtrs, 5 Mtrs and 7 Mtrs) ever since I started fishing club matches on the canals back in the 1980s but my first Pole was a second hand Ian Heaps cross weave pole of 11 mtrs which I bought from a friend back in 1990. I won quite a few club and inter-club team matches using it and got a section win on our company's yearly National consisting of 16 teams of 8 fished on the canal near Loughborough when I captained my company's Borehamwood team (which came 5th over all).

I haven't fished a Pole for at least 15 years now ever since I started to suffer from severe neck/ back pain whenever I used it.

NB: I only fish the very occasional club match nowerdays.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I can't remember the type of wood they used for the poles back in the days when Chesters was just a lad, but they are featured in an episode of The Compleat Angler TV series. A series that is well worth buying!

John S