When you're driving the car

The Flying Tench

Cory,

That was amazing to me. I guess I will never become a Jeopardy contestant.

Phone

You are often crude. Are you sure you count to 10 before hitting the send key. Perhaps a modifier like "symbolic" would have been more empathetic allowing for a germane comment to the subject of the thread.

The origin of certain emotional states seems to be unavailable to you, and when pressed to explain "the things you like", you will just make something up thus making sure.your explanation is probably going to be total bullshite. No one is perfect. My comment isn't meant to be critical. Just an observation.

Phone

Cory,

That was amazing to me. I guess I will never become a Jeopardy contestant.

Phone

You are often crude. Are you sure you count to 10 before hitting the send key. Perhaps a modifier like "symbolic" would have been more empathetic allowing for a germane comment to the subject of the thread.

The origin of certain emotional states seems to be unavailable to you, and when pressed to explain "the things you like", you will just make something up thus making sure.your explanation is probably going to be total bullshite. No one is perfect. My comment isn't meant to be critical. Just an observation.

Phone

Phone, this is way :off_topic" but then again it is AN.

I'm a lot gentler on the swine that I am on the swine-herds. Before you go off on one at that I've heard of missionaries in Haiti that address their congregations as "swine".

Mayhap that if you were raised in a country where there is no "separation of church and state" and were educated by a Wee Free teacher who gave Grade School children homework consisting of learning Bible verses by rote as homework you might understand me a bit better. I went to a tiny little school in the countryside. 35 kids between just over 4 yo to about 12 yo and one teacher with little oversight, she had a captive audience. She had one saving grace. She was a brilliant story teller and unlike many Christians she was not afraid of the OT.

I used to love Friday afternoons when she would regale us with stories like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, Daniel and the Lion's Den and Sodom and Gomorrah. Strangely enough she omitted the bit about Lot offering up his daughters for sex or the bit about Lot's daughters getting their old dad drunk, then their old dad shagging the ass of his daughters. Why did she miss out the best bits? I soon found out because we had a great big Bible at home, the thing is I also had a huge big book of Greek mythology at home too and I knew that they couldn't both be right, but they could both be wrong.and besides the Greek's stories are SO much better he Bible has got nothing on Jason and the Golden Fleece, or Theseus and the Minotaur and compared to Orthrus the two-headed dog a talking ass just pales into insignificance.

Two stories she never told us were Adam and Eve. and Noah's Ark. Us kids were on the whole the offspring of pedigree cattle and sheep farmers. We talked animal husbandry at the dinner table and had stock books on the mantelpiece. We knew that you could not breed a whole herd from one sire and one dam, not unless you wanted two headed calves or lambs with external kidneys. I guess she'd have had problems explaining to us how Noah might have fed all those animals when we knew that it took a silo of barley or bruised oats and a barnful or two of neeps and hay just to survive a Scottish winter. There was also one particularly annoying little fcuker ( I wonder who that might have been) who would have been particularly interested in how Australian and Madagascan fauna made it all the way to sunny Palestine, or where all the water came from so that a boat could end up on a mountain that is over three miles high, and where it all went afterwards.

I think the final straw was when I was about twelve. We all lived way out in the sticks, miles from any churches and most of our parents did not have motorised transport (unless you count a Massey Ferguson and trailer). Miss I Forget Her Name got a Church of Scotland (Presbyterian to you) minister to come and preach to us and he did the Adam and Eve skit. Once he was through he asked us if anyone had any questions. I stuck my hand up and asked "Please sir,what did God do on the eighth day?" He replied "He made Hell for little boys who ask to many questions." That finished it for me, the thought went through my head "You are one cheeky old bastard." and that was the end of it for me.

I'm a third generation atheist Phone, nobody tried to drown me as a baby, my parents never went to church, nor did my grand-parents. I've never been angry at God. As far as I can remember God has never said an unkind word to me, but mere mortal fellow humans who claim to know the mind of The Creator of the Universe and have the audacity to claim that God has chosen them as his mouthpiece, they really hack me off sometimes.

If I am made in the image of God and God is as smart as they claim him to be then God knows where I live and God knows how to prove his existence to me. The rest of them can as the say in Glasgow, "Go shoogle"

PS Wee Frees are funny folk. They won't buy a newspaper, read a book other than the Bible, light the fire, cut their nails or hair or cook a meal amongst other things on a Sunday.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote