Australian Weather Extremes

Bobj

Now that's impressive - but clear skies and low humidity is all it takes.

I don't recall exactly where we encountered the frost but we were high up in the GDR on a trip that took in Nimbin, The Black Stump, Carnarvon Gorge, the Stockman's hall of fame, the QANTAS Museum and a shedload of wide open vistas.

Caught Yellowbelly and Spangled Perch and got very frustrated watching big cod chasing yabbies' in the shallows and not being able to get them to bite.

Had to have a giggle at that as I used to get slightly frustrated doing that in the Gwydir River, northern NSW. The cod are real suckers for lures and poppers! Yellas will readily go for yabbies, especially when 'bobbed' off a rock ledge in a dam.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

To be honest, I only had a light spinning rod with me on that trip and I would probably have been seriously outgunned had I managed to hook one of the cod.

The yellowbelly were suckers for legered prawns.

On that trip, I also learned that sticking your thumb in a flathead's mouth is not a good way to lift them.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

4 o'clock this morning.

Hottest 34.1 °C Marble Bar, WA
Coldest -2.6 °C Mount Hotham, VIC
Windiest 92.6km/h Cape Grim BAPS, TAS
Wettest (Last Hour) 8.6mm Mount Read, TAS

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

4 o'clock this morning.

Hottest 34.1 °C Marble Bar, WA

Coldest -2.6 °C Mount Hotham, VIC

Windiest 92.6km/h Cape Grim BAPS, TAS

Wettest (Last Hour) 8.6mm Mount Read, TAS

I just love some of the 'Strine Place Names. Cape Grim :thumbs:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

There's a wonderful (but possibly apocryphal) story about a coastal mountain in Queensland.

It goes that a European explorer had secured the services of an aboriginal guide to help map and label features along the coast.

After several days of slowly sailing down the coast with the uncouth European constantly pointing at things, sighting along his arm and asking "What's that?" before making a note of the reply, the guide was getting rather ticked off.

Finally when the explorer sighted along his arm to the mountain in front of his outstretched digit asked "What's that?" the guide responded with a reply that has resulted in the mountain being known to Europeans as "Your finger you fool" in the local aboriginal language ever since.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.