Some advice required

Zeddedhed

I have a trip planned for Saturday to a lovely little stretch of the Eden River near Penshurst in East Sussex. Being somewhat new to this lark we call fishing I'm not too sure that my tactics are sound. I fully realise that even the best anglers can draw a blank now and again, but I'd like to be sure that at least I'm not totally wasting my time putting a rod out.

I've heard that the spot is good for Chub, and that meat is a useful bait for getting past the myriad small Gudgeon and Bleak. So the plan is to use a simple bomb rig, with the lead running free. Hook length would be around 30cms using a size 14 or 12. I'd be using a Drennan Series 7 feeder road with either 2oz or 3 oz tip, a Drennan FD4000 reel loaded with 4lb line and a 1oz weight clipped onto a feeder bead . To connect my hook length I use one of the Preston quick-change beads. So thats the rig.

I'm not sure if I should be casting upstream or downstream, sinking the line or not, rod tip low or high - all of this I'm sure can make a difference.

Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Pete

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Well the weather has changed a bit and the rivers are colder, which can spell a lean time for anglers. However Chub will always feed in the coldest of conditions, so if as you say you bit of river has chub then you should be fine. Bait can be maggot bread meat, that's fine.

If it is a smaller river look for nearside features such as undercuts, which chub love, and rushes sedges etc, chub will stay alongside such in the day. You have good tackle, so that's not a problem, I would suggest you keep the rod down, sit down and hold the butt of the rod in your lap, so you can strike quickly, chub are devils for finding snags believe me, so you need to get the fish under control asap.

A good bait would be bread flake, or meat, just put in a few free offerings and the away you go, when the swim dies, as it will move to the next spot. Use as much lead as you need, no more, or just a swan shot (big shot) pinched on the line a foot from the hook will be fine.

Take care with unhooking the fish as chub are greedy and will swallow the bait, make sure you have a disgorger to hand and be careful not to damage the fish. Make sure you have a good net, and of course a mat to rest the fish on. Don't keep the fish out of the water for longer than 30 seconds if you can, any longer rest in the net.

Be prepared to move often and change baits, but above all keep it simple, and you will be fine.

Edited by Neil Smart
  • Like 1

I've heard that the spot is good for Chub, and that meat is a useful bait for getting past the myriad small Gudgeon and Bleak. So the plan is to use a simple bomb rig, with the lead running free. Hook length would be around 30cms using a size 14 or 12. I'd be using a Drennan Series 7 feeder road with either 2oz or 3 oz tip, a Drennan FD4000 reel loaded with 4lb line and a 1oz weight clipped onto a feeder bead . To connect my hook length I use one of the Preston quick-change beads. So thats the rig.

I think it's an error to have a preconceived notion of what weight you're going to use, (unless you are bolt rigging - which you're not with 1oz.), the same with the line strength, 4lb is OK for chub in most situations, but not all.

The Gudgeon where I used to fish on the R.Lea were well tuned in to Luncheon Meat and I've caught them there on 3/4" cubes of meat on a size 4 hook, just with the meat jammed in their mouth, not actually hooked, so they are easily capable of dealing with meat on a size 12 or 14.

I prefer Cheese-paste for Chub in wintertime and much larger hooks for both that and meat. The Chub may well be wary of Luncheon Meat, it all depends on how much fishing pressure there is and how clear the water is - there are swims on the Hants. Avon that you could empty of fish if you put LM in there during daylight if the water is clear.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys (I assume you're both guys, although that's possibly a tad sexist and presumptuous of me).

The particular stretch of river is hardly fished at all, so the fish aren't really used to seeing things like meat or corn in the water.

As for line strength, my reel has a couple of spare spools which are loaded with 6lb and 8lb - I'll have them both in the bag with me. If I mange to get anything even remotely bigger than I'd expected it's only five minutes work to beef up the line.

I'll also have hooks up to size 4 with me (with the exception of a size 10 - every time I've been to the local tackle shop they've sold out of 10's!!)

I also do have a fairly potent lump of home-brewed cheese paste festering away in a dark corner of the fridge, so that can be added to the tackle bag. I'll also take along some bread to make sure i've covered all the bases.

I suppose the biggest question then is do you suggest casting upstream and then tightening the line down onto the weight, or cast downstream and let the current tighten the line?

Or am I talking utter rubbish?

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

The Cheese paste I used to make?? was from just Processed (KRAFT) cheese slices, nothing added - I just opened opened all the slices & kneaded them into one big ball, breaking a piece off & moulding it, bomb shaped & Invisibly round a size 6 or 4 hook.

I've even float fished it 2 or 3 foot over depth & held back (We call it "Laying On") but many call this "Stretpegging"

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks for the replies guys (I assume you're both guys, although that's possibly a tad sexist and presumptuous of me).

The particular stretch of river is hardly fished at all, so the fish aren't really used to seeing things like meat or corn in the water.

As for line strength, my reel has a couple of spare spools which are loaded with 6lb and 8lb - I'll have them both in the bag with me. If I mange to get anything even remotely bigger than I'd expected it's only five minutes work to beef up the line.

I'll also have hooks up to size 4 with me (with the exception of a size 10 - every time I've been to the local tackle shop they've sold out of 10's!!)

I also do have a fairly potent lump of home-brewed cheese paste festering away in a dark corner of the fridge, so that can be added to the tackle bag. I'll also take along some bread to make sure i've covered all the bases.

I suppose the biggest question then is do you suggest casting upstream and then tightening the line down onto the weight, or cast downstream and let the current tighten the line?

Or am I talking utter rubbish?

I suggest you cast downstream, close to the nearside bank, after putting in a few free offerings, be patient after feeding, leave it a couple of minutes so any fish will feel confident.

• Like 1

It is some years since I fished the Eden at Penshurst, but there used to be some decent chub in there. Smallish river, - plenty of twists and turns and the most important thing is STEALTH - and allied to that, getting the bait quietly into the water.

I used to use freelined meat, cheese or slugs (use whelks if you can't stand slugs) on a size 6. If extra weight is needed, a link leger allows you to fine-tune the amount of weight on the line - every swim is different !. The twists and turns of Wealden streams mean that sometimes the best method is to fish downstream, sometimes upstream - depending upon which allows you to approach unseen and cast undetected. Lots of eddies so the fish might be facibg every which way

PS Be aware that the bottom is silty clay in many places, festooned with embedded snags. Lots of trees means lots of branches fall into the water. Nailing the bait to the bottom increases the chance of getting snagged on the retrieve. Freelined (and lightly-weighted) baits travel down the current off the bottom

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks everyone.

The gear is now packed and ready. All advice has been duly logged and memorised. I'll let you know how it goes - what worked, what didn't etc. I'll probably have a photo or two showing the usual massive haul of 4 inch Gudgeon, but fingers crossed for the odd Chub or two.

Watch this space.

Chub are adaptable & get used to & can then be caught on almost anything edible.

I once read that, on a certain stretch, can't remember where, they were being caught on Chips!! - the locals chucked their unwanted chips off the bridge whilst walking home from the Pub.

Twas never established though whether they preferred Red or Brown sauce :bleh:

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

The Cheese paste I used to make?? was from just Processed (KRAFT) cheese slices, nothing added - I just opened opened all the slices & kneaded them into one big ball, breaking a piece off & moulding it, bomb shaped & Invisibly round a size 6 or 4 hook.

The pulls are very often Aggressive & self hooking so, keep your hand - well - close to hand!!

Edited by Martin56