6 replies to this topic

#1 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fossicking and photography

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:39 AM

One last trip west into the remote Keep River and I want to use my brand new, super dooper iPad. What do I need to get the internet, please?
I will be 100 km from any dwelling and will only need it for 1 month...I do not have any iphone, being a new chum, ipads etc. are a whole new idea.

Cheers, Bobj.

#2 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,351 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

bobj

https://northernterr...phone-reception

funny I though I'd said that

Phone

#3 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for that, Phone. Might have to buy an iphone, but for 1 month? Also, The Darwin is some 600 km (round trip) out of my way. Someone suggested using a hotspot?? But, being non tech at all, it just went over my head when he tried to explain. :wallbash:

Thanks for the input.

Cheers, Bobj.

#4 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,083 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for that, Phone. Might have to buy an iphone, but for 1 month? Also, The Darwin is some 600 km (round trip) out of my way. Someone suggested using a hotspot?? But, being non tech at all, it just went over my head when he tried to explain. :wallbash:
Thanks for the input.

Any wifi phone or tablet can use a hot spot ,some are free to use (fast food restaurants especially) and whoever lets you use your broadband will have some its just a case of switching on your wireless (which should be off for safety away from your hub or router)
Be aware though its not really that safe if you use any payment system on your phone as hacking is rife in such places.

I was amagining you hundreds of miles away from the nearest town fossikin or opal hunting ,if your in a town you have no problems at all.
When we used to go to folkestone there was no wireless being under the cliffs so every couple of days we parked outside burger king (or something) and used their wireless to catch up with emails etc

Edited by chesters1, 01 July 2018 - 07:28 PM.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

#5 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

Any wifi phone or tablet can use a hot spot ,some are free to use (fast food restaurants especially) and whoever lets you use your broadband will have some its just a case of switching on your wireless (which should be off for safety away from your hub or router)
Be aware though its not really that safe if you use any payment system on your phone as hacking is rife in such places.

I was amagining you hundreds of miles away from the nearest town fossikin or opal hunting ,if your in a town you have no problems at all.
When we used to go to folkestone there was no wireless being under the cliffs so every couple of days we parked outside burger king (or something) and used their wireless to catch up with emails etc

Found out from a good friend that the area I am going to, is well out of mobile reception, so, I will do your "Burger King" thingo in Kununurra

Thanks for your input, Ches.

Cheers, Bobj.

#6 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,083 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Found out from a good friend that the area I am going to, is well out of mobile reception, so, I will do your "Burger King" thingo in Kununurra
Thanks for your input, Ches.

You can look at rolf harris's tree aswell (the wonder of google) lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

#7 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:09 AM

You can look at rolf harris's tree aswell (the wonder of google) lol

Btw...there is a Gulliver’s Tavern in Kununurra and the chairs. are huge, almost need a stepladder to sit on them. Hopefully, the wifi reception is the same...

Cheers, Bobj.