FREE salmon licences?

philocalist

Not exactly coarse fishing related directly BUT   ...   I noticed earlier today on the website of a nearby angling club (that is predominently a coarse anglers club, categoricall NOT one stuffed with game anglers), that a 'FREE' salmon licence is available to their members on a daily basis, allowing them to fish for salmon on the river fishing they control, which sees a fairly limited run of fish each year.

For a very casual angler who might dabble with salmon fishing occasionally, this seems like manna from Heaven, but it's not something I've seen before, nor even been aware of in a lifetime of angling.

Can anyone throw any light on how this works / what the arrangement is likely to be (presumably between club and EA) - and how it might be arranged for my club, who control a stretch of river on what is reputed to be the best sea-trout river in England (with a fair salmon run too, normally, apparently!)

Philo,

here are the license fees from the EA site - no free but £6 ?

Phone

Licence type Trout and coarse 2-rod Trout and coarse 3-rod Salmon and sea trout
1-day £6 Not available £12
8-day £12 Not available £27
12-month £30 £45 £82
12-month - over 65 or disabled £20 £30 £54
12-month - junior (13 to 16) Free Free Free

Seen that thanks Phone - was the first place I looked - what is apparently being offered though is an entirely free daily salmon licence, for any club member, available simply on request for a specific day.....

The only thing i can think of is, it's a carrot to increase a presumably dwindling club membership??

Maybe the club is on the verge of losing the water otherwise?? At 63+ I'm one of the junior anglers in our club. (Not to mention on here Lol)

Maybe they are trying to encourage younger blood for work parties??

A day or so's Salmon fishing is not a bad swap for a bit of cutting back & digging out for a young fella'. And a Free Gymnasium !!:showoff:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Don't think its meant as an incentive as such Martin, either for existing members or to attract new ones - just a perk of belonging to the club. I'm more interested in te mechanics of how this works, i.e. how is the club able to do this - for example, is it legitimately possible to buy a 'club' salmon licence, and then farm it out on a daily basis to any member who requests it? Personally, I think thats unlikely, but I'd love to know how it has been arranged as I'm assuming this must have involved the EA at some level?

5 minutes ago, philocalist said:

Don't think its meant as an incentive as such Martin, either for existing members or to attract new ones - just a perk of belonging to the club. I'm more interested in te mechanics of how this works, i.e. how is the club able to do this - for example, is it legitimately possible to buy a 'club' salmon licence, and then farm it out on a daily basis to any member who requests it? Personally, I think thats unlikely, but I'd love to know how it has been arranged as I'm assuming this must have involved the EA at some level?

I was just thinking of those who are willing to work the banks as against those who are actually capable of landing a Salmon.

Maybe we're both overthinking?? - Salmon is farmed for supermarkets these days - so why pay the Ridge Pool  a Grand+ to still possibly catch Now't

I'd far rather catch a net full of Roach, Perch etc. & put em' back for another day!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Philo,

One thought, something may be happening via the EA “The Missing Salmon Project”. Seems as though there are a lot of quasi-private projects within this overall project

https://environmentagency.blog.gov.uk/2020/02/12/investment-in-fisheries-continues-as-environment-agency-publishes-the-fisheries-annual-report/

https://environmentagency.blog.gov.uk/2019/12/20/the-fisheries-improvement-programme/

the 2nd url is more interesting

https://www.fishlegal.net/page.asp?section=909

also interesting but I don't comprehend what it is on about

Phone

Sussed it ?

On closer scrutiny, the wording on the website has changed overnight very slightly - it's now referred to as a 'free permit', though the capture I did yesterday confirms it used to say 'licence'. Turns out you DO need an EA salmon licence to fish, plus the permit for internal purposes of recoding catches.

• 4 weeks later...