Visible float

The Flying Tench

I have been on Benwick sports website many times,in fact ive  been in the shop three or four times,I like Dave Harrell floats,in fact my favourites for my venue is a speci stick they have a piece of plastic tube araldited into the tip,just below the sight tip colouring,very tough floats indeed,ideal when your catching crazy thrashing berties,Drake fliats have a major fault,they have poor,varnish/ coating which peels after several uses,a shame as many are good floats,also with their wagglers most are loaded,something that in the main I really dont like....

9 minutes ago, Whitty said:

I have been on Benwick sports website many times,in fact ive  been in the shop three or four times,I like Dave Harrell floats,in fact my favourites for my venue is a speci stick they have a piece of plastic tube araldited into the tip,just below the sight tip colouring,very tough floats indeed,ideal when your catching crazy thrashing berties,Drake fliats have a major fault,they have poor,varnish/ coating which peels after several uses,a shame as many are good floats,also with their wagglers most are loaded,something that in the main I really dont like....

That is a shame about the drake floats having dodgy varnish.

Maybe I should give mine a coat of something to protect them, although in reality I can't be bothered.  If I do use em and they fall to bits i'll know not to get anymore, I suppose they're only floats at the end of the day anyhow.

36 minutes ago, Whitty said:

I gave mine coats of yacht varnish,and removed the loading on  floats that I didnt want it on but I really dont like having to rebuild a float that cost me to buy in the first place  sadly.

I only got some of their avon floats so appart from them having a wire stem there is no loading. I put the 2grm one in a tube to test the loading and they were exactly right. The avon floats are ver compact for the weight they carry.

As you say, you shouldn't have to faff about altering floats when you get them.

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

As you say, you shouldn't have to faff about altering floats when you get them.

I've occasionally used a file to reduce the loaded weight so I can add a couple more shot as some floats already sit a bit low in the water & also helps to vary the shotting pattern.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Trouble is Martin I don't like loaded floats much,if at all,I like at least three shot around the float,if it is in the float it slides when you strike and you lose your depth unless you use certain float adaptors which I dont like either,awkward so and so eh???

1 hour ago, Whitty said:

Trouble is Martin I don't like loaded floats much,if at all,I like at least three shot around the float,if it is in the float it slides when you strike and you lose your depth unless you use certain float adaptors which I dont like either,awkward so and so eh???

I think we're talking "Wagglers" here Alan.

I use rubber "Grippa Stops" one or 2 above the float & 3 below as per some tutorials on YouTube, with about a 5 mm gap between so the float is allowed to "Waggle".

You'll find that this ("Grippa Stops") combat the sliding effect when you strike - well it does for me anyway.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I don't mind loaded wagglers, infact unless the float is a very light weight one I prefer loaded ones for the biggest part. I don't like a lot of shot on the line if possible.   I use a drennan adaptor and grippa stops also.  I don't do much, if any waggler fishing now and the bit I do I use lightweight wagglers and fish the margins or not too far out.  Thinking about it I mostly use various lengths and thicknesses of plain peacock quill fixed by a single piece of rubber.  

I’ve never even had the urge to put a loaded waggler on my line; by loaded I mean the ones with the heavy weights attached to the bottoms like you see being used on commercials; however;  I love using ‘semi’ loaded wagglers like the Onion waggler; (these would still lie flat if you put them in water with no shot on)

The Onion waggler has just enough loading so you can still spread shot down the line. These semi loaded Onion wagglers fly through the air without the characteristic waggle that gave the waggler its name and are perfect when you need real accuracy when casting up close to distant lilies or bankside vegetation or tight up to the far bank with the hooklength flying behind it.

Plus it doesnt sink very far on landing like the usual loaded floats often do either.

Not much good on a small stream or river though 🙂

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)