Footwear for muddy banks

The Flying Tench

I've just returned from a rather unsuccessful roaching trip on the Severn, and part of the problem was coping with the high slippery muddy banks. At the time I thought the problem was that I'm not as young as I used to be, but on reflection, even for a fit 20 year old, some of those pegs would be a challenge. Maybe I have the wrong fishing shoes - I did slide into the Thames once!

So what do you wear for slippery, muddy banks? Do your shoes have studs?

john clarke

Thankfully the rivers that I usually fish don’t have steep slippery banks, however if there is going to be a chance of slippery mud in my swim; I just wear a pair of ankle length walking boots which have a deep tread on them (mine don’t have studs); or I try to find somewhere else to park my butt.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

There was an incident reported on fb that happened in one of my favourite swims on the lower Severn,BAA, its very steep sided banks here, typical terrain, the swim is excellent as far as producing big Barbel and is flat (ish) and wide enough for two anglers.  It used to be a docking point for barges. 

The angler had a massive barbel run went to grab his rod and fell into a swollen Severn the drop to the river is approx  7ft, he managed to trap hold of the metal structure that lined the bank, and yelled for help, luckily his cries were heard and was rescued, the big barbel was also landed. 

This could have ended so differently, and is a heads up to us all, I keep thinking I should have a floatation aid, and a dog spike for those steep banks, I have a spike somwhere, note to self.

Crampons on boots is the very best, some folk wear studded rugby boots, you might have a pair left over from your student days at Repton John? But I do know my Muckboots are worse than useless in mud, any good walking boot is better.

These parts you need to be part Angler part mountaineer to be able to fish, I am amazed that there are not more tragedies and forget the biggest club in the country BAA having any concerns the maintenance is non existent on most stretches, not sure if there was a tragedy if they could be sued? Their  paltforms are mostly rotten are just missing and falling from them would be worse.

Forget complaining you will be met with abuse, and reminded that its a cheap membership, and have too much to maintain...much smaller clubs provide safe  steps and platforms, and the EA ones at Uckinghall on the Severn are superb.

To which John that might be some help to you, and anyone who had mobility issues, or just wants to to live! 

As far as Roach bite detection is concerned, I know they feel resistance and drop the bait, letting out a bow of line is always better after the cast, the bites won't be as obvious, and will probably be a drop back, but on a fine tip quiver, should be hittable. This letting out line is good for all species and enables you to fish a lighter lead or feeder to hold bottom, fishing tight to the tip will only work when the fish are confident really. I am guilty of forgetting this, again note to self.

Tight lines (or is it )😊

• Like 1