Pole question...

Ken L

Hi folks.

Dad has asked me to try to find him a new pole for the usual carp puddles.

His budget is up to £400.

It needs to be 11m, but an additional meter or so isn't a problem.

Now the trick part, he wants the elastic to come out of the side of the pole, rather than be attached to a bung in the bottom of the top 3. I didn't even know that this was a thing until he asked about it, and it doesn't seem to be listed as a feature, even on pole that seem to have it.

Can anyone recommend an option that's in budget, and with this weird elastic option?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

20 minutes ago, terry t shirt said:

Hi Ken

He means a side puller  look at last but one pick on listings.

matrix pole Mxt1 13m | eBay

cannot say anything about this particular pole i've never handled it.

but sounds the sort of thing your looking for

Thanks for that Terry.

I've managed to find a couple of options that might suit.

At least this time around, the request hasn't been dropped on me at short notice.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Ken, I have the Shimano, Beastmaster 8.5 Mtr Margin Pole now approx £180, (shop around) with the optional 2 Metre extension so its 10.5 Metres (& could even add another extension at £70 apiece)

Thing is, pole is virtually Indestructible (barring standing on it) And it has "Safe Zones" (Marked on) which is extra carbon wrapping to drill for the side pullers.

You get 2 Top kits with this pole & with a £400 Budget could also buy additional Top kits @ £50 apiece.

I'm talking the prices I paid 5 years ago, but they'll still be about same (ish)

Also, if you buy from a shop - They will do all the work for FREE (cutting back, fitting elastic, bushes & side pullers etc) you just pay for the materials of course which you would anyway. + If THEY break anything - It's on Them!!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

In truth, 10.5 Metres is probably about the most he'll be able to manage (given Dad is getting on a bit?) AND I have only used my extension very rarely.

It's had some Lumps out!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Might be worth keeping an eye on this ebay seller Ken - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_ssn=home-un-leisure&_sop=1

If you click on "ending soonest" and "auction" you'll see that they list things at silly start prices, i've seen the poles they sell go for peanuts.

I've had a couple of rods and a rod holdall off them for far cheaper than I should of expected to pay. 

I know it's a bit short, but just as an example - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315074257652?hash=item495be3a2f4:g:kZMAAOSwVhpkYgc7

Edited by *Ant*

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

All good advice guys.

Yes, dad is knocking on the door of 80 and has problems with arthritis, but he insists on fishing the pole, despite the leverage that it gives the fish.

We were out at a local pool (Wilden) over the summer, and I made a point of fishing a 7' spinning rod in the margin, so he could see how easy it makes fishing under your feet, and playing fish.

Despite seeing me outfish him and land two mid-doubles with ease, he's still not entirely convinced.

I do like margin fishing, though, and frequently have baits inches from the near bank - especially if it's undercut.

• Like 1