rod holder safety concerns

stevie T

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Glennk.

Can you remember which models had the problem?

If there was a near fatal incident, then the models concerned should be named.

People take for granted that the Kayak they have purchased is up to the job and safe, a newbie could come unstuck., and end up in a lot of trouble, as could anybody not aware of the problems.

On a professional level I'm keeping out of it Bill - workwise i'm Marine Electronics and Lendal paddles, not watercraft - when I post regarding kayaks (well, since starting work for JO UK) it's regarding their use from a personal standpoint - I'm not able to comment on structural/manufacturing issues. Stevie's first post already quotes an official explanation from someone else at Johnson Outdoors.

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

HI yakaty.

Over a very short period I saw 2 posts on a forum and witnessed one occasion where a hatch cover failed and the kayak filled with water making it unstable. The event I witnessed took 3 lads to get their freind back on a very unstable kayak. THey then stableised him (One at either side) and a third towed them back to shore taking 40 minutes plus for a normal 5 minute paddle. Needless to say the lad was very shaken.

Upon reading this on an internet forum, a third lad posted of his story which was very similar. THe lad had been off on his own. His closing words of his post say it all "

To cut a long story short with a dry suit full of water, a kayak half full of water & my strength being zapped by the exertion of self rescue, the cold water & trying to swim ashore with the kayak tethered to me. The wind was blowing offshore, the tide was running offshore. Two hours later I was picked up by the lifeboat & taken to hospital suffering from hypothermia.

From what I am led to believe, there is a neoprene hatch cover available at £30 which will stop the problem. The reason I post this is because it worries me how many kayakers are out there completely unaware of the problem ?

My advice is get the hatch cover and get safe.

HI yakaty.

Over a very short period I saw 2 posts on a forum and witnessed one occasion where a hatch cover failed and the kayak filled with water making it unstable. The event I witnessed took 3 lads to get their freind back on a very unstable kayak. THey then stableised him (One at either side) and a third towed them back to shore taking 40 minutes plus for a normal 5 minute paddle. Needless to say the lad was very shaken.

Upon reading this on an internet forum, a third lad posted of his story which was very similar. THe lad had been off on his own. His closing words of his post say it all "

From what I am led to believe, there is a neoprene hatch cover available at £30 which will stop the problem. The reason I post this is because it worries me how many kayakers are out there completely unaware of the problem ?

My advice is get the hatch cover and get safe.

If its a case of buying a hatch cover to cure the problem. I think it should come supplied when you buy a kayak.

Maybe its just certain models that have the problem.My caper and scupper pro was ok....But the p15 leaked through the scupper holes and into the hull.

zzippy2.gif

Hi Mark.

Whats to stay out of?.......there are clearly issues here that need the attention of somebody higher up the ladder, than your good self.

Yes there has been an official explanation offered, Its not for us to comment on the content of that explanation, although I think people are drawing their own conclusions on that one!!

ITS NOT A WITCH HUNT !!, its a chance now for all who have suffered from issues, and near misses to speak up, and make it known what the problems are, with leaking hatches, weak fittings, leaking scuppers etc.

Post your experiences now!!

From the inormation that comes forward, measures can be taken by the manufacturers to put right the issues, as they see fit, and to consider them when launching other models.

A lot of the Kayaks are advertised and marketed as Fishing Models, not only Ocean Kayaks, others too, so they should be fit for purpose when we take them out on the water.

Out of interest, what tests are made by the companies who produce the different models of kayak availiable to us?,By this I mean on the water in differing conditions over a period of time, so possible design faults ( If any ) can be identified, and put right before the product hits the stores and is availiable to us.

Nothing is a perfect science......... honest interaction between manufacturer and user, could save a life one day.

Bill.

If its a case of buying a hatch cover to cure the problem. I think it should come supplied when you buy a kayak.

Maybe its just certain models that have the problem.My caper and scupper pro was ok....But the p15 leaked through the scupper holes and into the hull.

Hi ZZippy, Glenn.

I think Id say bu**er the neoprene cover to cure the problem!

The problem should have been identified on trials before launch to the retailers.

We are not talking about a £50 blow up beach toy, we pay enough, and deserve a top quality, and safe product.

Bill.

Hi ZZippy, Glenn.

I think Id say bu**er the neoprene cover to cure the problem!

The problem should have been identified on trials before launch to the retailers.

We are not talking about a £50 blow up beach toy, we pay enough, and deserve a top quality, and safe product.

Bill.

Hi Bill.

Yes your right about the problems should have been found before they left the makers.Just makes you wonder if a tank test is done on the kayaks :angry: .I did read on an American site that Ocean Kayak tank tested/pressure tested every sit on top kayak before it left the factory :nonono: But its just not confined to one make.Alot of models/makes have the same problem.

zzippy2.gif

Might be an interesting excercise to write to a few kayak manufacturers voicing some of these concerns. The replies might be interesting too, if you get one.

With some guys paying £800 for a what is in esscence a moulded plastic tube, you would think they would be of a higher standard.