Walker's Tackle Box

chevin

I thought that some of you guys might be interested in this snippit of information. I was looking at some of the tackle at his widow's home last year and there is some lovely stuff there.

Own a piece of Angling History

Fishing tackle owned by the former carp record holder and angling legend Dick Walker is to be auctioned in Cheswick in West London on October 1st. Items coming under the hammer after Dicks wife decided it was time to start parting with some of the tackle include personal manuscripts and drawings as well as many smaller pieces from the famous angler's tackle box. The event is expected to attract a lot of interest and anyone requiring further information should call 0208 749 4175.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey!

chevin, if it is marketed properly, this auction could create a lot of interest!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I know that, but I don't know any of the details of the marketing. I would have thought that e-bay would have been a very good platform, but I guess that Pat might not want the trouble of dealing with it all her self.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

If you think she's not getting the best deal, drop me a PM and I'll help....

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I have sent her the address to this thread so it is possible that she will contact you if she thinks that she needs some help. I am sure that she will be grateful for the offer to help.

there will be a few intrepids he tested them for morritt ,no difference in value though to ordinary ones though unless theres absolute proof Mr Walker owned them.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The Chiswick auctions, in my opinion, tend to be a) hardcore collectors / dealers gigs, and B) a tad too poncy for 'yer average' coarsefisher - more the province of the megabucks Classic Big Game and Game Fishing Tackle and Books Crowd. As a result, I rather think that a heck of a lot of 'ordinary guys of a certain age' - men who were much influenced by Walker (as I was) and who have the money now (which I don't!)to buy themselves a little piece of RW, by way of thanks - just won't show. The recent F.M. Halford (big-name Victorian, one of the founders of dry-fly fishing) sale at Chiswick went ballistic, but RW's...? Well, I just hope that it realises some good prices, for the sake of his widow Pat.

[ 17. September 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

From what Paul is saying, I reckon eBay would be a great place. The audience is huge.

'The Chiswick auctions, in my opinion, tend to be a) hardcore collectors / dealers gigs, and B) a tad too poncy for 'yer average' coarsefisher - more the province of the megabucks Classic Big Game and Game Fishing Tackle and Books Crowd'

Not really true unless you class all those interested in 'classic big game and game fishing tackle and books crowd' as 'a tad too poncy' But then you'd have to be a complete poncephobe to think that.

The Chiswick auction will be well attended on this occasion, I suspect largely by anglers of a certain age with a bit of spare cash and looking for a piece of Walker memorabilia to pass on to their kids. Might even pop down there myself.

Past auctions at Chiswick have attracted a mixed crowd of people looking for trade, looking for a fishing memento but mostly like me, occasionally seeking a collectable item within their budget that interests them. With the exception of the odd flash of tweed and a Hermes scarf here and there, I've never noticed a large influx of ponces.

Auctions are always the best way of selling above average, unusual or particularly valuable items. When it comes to vintage or antique stuff, punters like to see the condition, read any authentication documents and generally size up the goods before parting with their brass. A picture on Ebay doesn't allow you to do that.

Question to seller 'Is that really Napoleon's typewriter?' 'Yes mate it is...honest'

Theres a Titian painting coming up at Sothebys soon...hhhmm wonder why its not on Ebay. :rolleyes:

[ 17. September 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

chesters1:

there will be a few intrepids he tested them for morritt ,no difference in value though to ordinary ones though unless theres absolute proof Mr Walker owned them.

There probably won't be any Intrepids because it is more than likely he gave them all away to young anglers like myself. Being as they - like myself - were probably broke at the time, they would have used them rather than putting them away to increase in value. There will be no doubt that anything that Pat puts up for sale will certainly be genuine possessions of Dick's.