Rubber Corn Failure

Pangolin

I have caught using rubber corn, pellets and dog biscuits.

I have found that adding a bit of flavour by leaving in a bait dip helps.

Mind you I used the corn and pellets with real ones on a hair rig to back snowman type baits.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

thats a medusa rig jeepster. if you havn't got any balls :P (of cork) just put a few drops of glue into a bait box of maggots and wait a few minutes, they wriggle together to give a nice fat ball.

try taking a very light mono and a sewing needle, just thread the maggots onto the line and tie to the hook or hair.

add a bit off rig foam to pop them up or balance them so they sink slowly.

ALSO, if you fill a pva bag with maggots and put your hookbait inside, cast out and they all fall together, it creates a shower of bait and the carp especially go mental for it.

[ 29. September 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Have caught on several artificial baits over many years (nothing new about them just that lazy boys can now buy them in the shop!)I have however (with the exception of Hempseed imitations) always used them on the hook/hair in conjunction with the natural,maybe this could be the problem for the guys who are not getting results?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not a silly question at all mate and maybe the answer to why some have had results on artificials and others havnt!

The initial and possibley still the main reason people use artificial baits is that you make them/they are made from bouyant materials so when used in conjunction with the real thing you can produce either a "neutral bouyancy" hook bait or a "popped up" presentation.Regardless of this though for the best result you have to fish them over a bed of natural baits.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If it's just a buoyancy thing, surely a tiny piece of foam is a lot cheaper? I used my rubber corn, rather than open a tin of corn, soaking it in strawberry scopex when the fish were feeding well on bread or maggot or pellets. It wasn't the scopex putting the fish off, because I often dipped the bread in that. I just think that although it looks very like corn to us, it doesn't look much like corn to fish. I could almost hear them saying to each other 'now, what does he think we are, stupid?'.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I've done very well on artificial corn, but it does have it's drawbacks.

In my experience they quickly suss it out, I've watched them take it in & blow it out in a wink of the eye, your hookholds become pretty tenuous.

The best catches have come to the method feeder with the obligatory short hooklength. You can play around a lot with various hook sizes, hooklengths etc & it does keep them coming, but be warned the losses mount up after you've caught a few.

Check your bouyancy by the way, as each grain of corn is not exactly the same as the other & depending on the size of your hook & if you are using it in conjunction with real corn, you may well end up fishing a bottom bait which is no where near as effective as a pop up.

One more thing, it's not just a small fish bait either.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.