Salted squid

Socksy Squirrel

:o:D:(:)

Am going to try the salt out with mackeral - Will let U know!!! :o

Would be nice if method works here....... pumpkin

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chaps, new to this web site, but have been singing the prasises of squid elswhere for a while now. You seem to have moved onto a higher plain than just simple 'frozen squid'? I have certainly been able to demonstrate the advantages of 'un washed squid' against the snow white fit for human consumption type. Also the fact that a couple of slits in the purse helps to release a better sent trail?

However, you are disgarding the gutts? are you using your salted squid as a stand alone bait, as a tip or part of a cocktail. Anyone tried salting the whole thing?

CJS2

Further thoughts as I re read the postings. Squid should be 'white' we all know this, all articals tell us so. Un washed squid is not white, more a dirty 'school boys kneck' colour. I find the left overs can be refrozen, they darken in colour slightly but seem as efective as once only frozen.

Snow white 1lb boxes have this whiteness imparted by washing in a bath of fresh water when caught. Does this do anything to the chemical ballance of the beastie, therefore making it a less or more potent bait? I and my local friends find Un washed squid out fishes white washed. It also performes as well as lugworm (I say better) especialy for cod.

Strangly, this only seems to apply to boats, beach anglers of my aquaintance cannot get on with it as a stand alone bait at all?

I'm off to get some 'DW' salt, make up some oily salty squid?

CJS2

Saturday 4/3/2005 18:00 -> 24:00

Low water 19:49

Venue 2/3rds of the way along St Catherine's Breakwater.

Tackle 3 Standard beachcasters with 3 No 4 black Aberdeen style hooks on a paternoster and a 6 oz grip weight.

Baits

Rod 1 Salted squid strips

Rod 2 Farmed king rag, this is not native to the island but it is commonly used as bait and is fairly effective

Rod 3 Smart Baits Peeler Crab. The bait is pale brown in colour and slightly oily to the touch. It may be produced by an extrusion type process. On breaking a piece up it was found to be fairly fibrous. The smell is slightly reminescent of dog food, not at all fishy. Bonzo the dog became quite interested on opening the packet, he came across and sniffed around quite a lot. The packet fell over during the session and he ate a bit. He would have finished the packet if given the chance. The fish were unfortunately less impressed.

This was a thin session with the final score being; king rag caught seven dogfish, salted squid strips scored three dogfish and the Smart Baits offering scored nil.

[ 06. March 2005, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]

Missed bites on either of the baits that didn't catch so well or was that pretty well the way they bit too?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Conditions were F5 winds with intermittent hail storms.

I was sheltering in the lee of the pier and nipping out to pull it in when I thought I had a catch or every fifteen minutes or so to rebait.

Sorry, I was not really looking out for bites.

[ 08. March 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]

i have salted blacks and yellowtails befor now! very good as a standby bait but fresh is best..

a good bait is week old razors throw them in an empty bucket and leave them there when the foot comes out stick them in the freezer take them out as needed, but only bait with the foot, after your fishing trip return to freezer. they last ages! smellier the better

hello mate cought anything yet? grrrrrrrr!

If salt is an attractant, has anyone tried using neat salt in a feeder? You would need a very small hole to prevent it all being washed out but a plug of foam top and bottom might keep it all together for a while.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

That is not a lot of doggies :(

A lot of doggies is;

1) When you you pull up three on the same paternoster,

2) You throw out a pennel rig and it comes back with doggies hanging on the top and bottom hooks.

3) Time to go home is when three doggies come in on a paternoster and two of their chums are swimming alongside, only peeling off to go home when you start to winch their mates up the wall.

[ 08. March 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]