Salted squid

Socksy Squirrel

I have salted herrings before rollmopping them.

This squid idea could catch on, should be looked at properly with field trials. I would rather use someting nateral that synthetic fish n strips.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working on salting as the initial preservation method.

Non toxic, simple and cheap, salt may even be a feeding stimulant to fish as Newt says.

When the squid is partly dehydrated and saturated with brine then it will be very stable to spoilage organisms such as bacteria and moulds.

I am hoping that the salted squid will absorb fish oil and maybe a dye to increase it's attractiveness.

The salt will act as the primary preservative and the oil will stop oxygen from coming into contact with the bait and hopefully add an extra layer of attraction.

Paprika is attractive as a dye, it is a natural product and the red colour may work well during the day.

[ 24. February 2005, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]

I tried out the salted squid last Saturday and caught a pollack and several pouting on it in what was a thin session at Rozel Harbour.

I have salted down a lot more, this is to see how long it will last. I have removed some from the salt and I am marinating this in sardine oil.

It looks and smells interesting.

Sounds like you may be on to something here. Hmmmm.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Socksy Squirrel:

It looks and smells interesting.

To who - or what? Would it be allowed into the average kitchen or are we two days into garden shed country?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Every article you read expresses the importance of only using squid that is fresh and white in colour, and insisting that any pink/brown skinned squid is next to useless.

In conversation with an ex. Geordie match angler last year, he divulged that the only squid he would use was those obtained from the east coast commercial boats. What he did, was to leave them within a bucket and check their condition each day. After a few days, there would be a noticable change in their condition by way of an oil having leached out of the flesh and visibly coating them.

Only then would he take them from the bucket and prepare the flesh.

Personally, I've never tried this, knowing from past experience what ageing squid can smell like.

Posted by Socksy Squirrel "I am actually working on curing the squid so it is still moist and flexible"

Are you using a Dry Cure as indicated previously or as you creating a Cover Brine for soaking.

Do you intend incorporating Sodium Nitrite within the brine as your curing agent or are you simply relying on the salt drawing moisture from the squid flesh?

Me and me dad used to hunt big old brownies with salted minnows on the rough north rivers,fresh minnow would catch fish but the salted down minnow would slay these big browns.cannot remember the name of the product but it was bought locally and was a salt-loaf,best method was to drain minnows and salt in layers of fish salt etc.the salt nowadays seems too strong and burns the guts out of these little fish if kept in the salt for any length of time. cheers

It really does smell quite nice, a slightly fishy sardine type smell when it has been bathing in the oil for nearly a week. I reckon it could be put on the menu of one of the local fish restaurants as a starter.

I am just using dry salt to draw out some of the moisture, the salt does become quite moist and obviously salt is absorbed into the flesh.

I am not using sodium nitrite because as far as I am aware it's main purpose is to preserve the colour of pork and beef by reacting with the myoglobin in the meat. Salt meat would be a dull grey colour without it, not very appetising.

I would suggest that you try salting your minnows using either commercial salt as I am doing or a coarse grade of sea salt.

Most table salt these days contains anticaking agents etc, I have tried table salt in the past and found it very unsatisfactory.

Posted by Socksy Squirrel

"I am not using sodium nitrite because as far as I am aware it's main purpose is to preserve the colour of pork and beef by reacting with the myoglobin in the meat. Salt meat would be a dull grey colour without it, not very appetising."

Agreed! As well as being an integral ingredient with regard to the preservation of said meats.

Going off the thread a little, I once steeped some fresh Mackerel fillets in a solution of 80% Water to 20% Sodium Tripolyphosphate (Tari P22) prior to home freezing, in an attempt to improve the texture of the Mackerel when defrosted.

As I'm sure you are aware, the home freezing of fish tends to be detrimental to the texture of the flesh due to the formation of large ice particles, which essentially break down the muscle structure upon defrosting.

The defrosted fillets held up extremely well with regard to texture and in addition were noticeably oily.

Hi there,

I have investigated this issue and the sodium nitrite plays an integral role in suppressing the growth of C. botulinum.

Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) is usually also added to suppress the reaction of the nitrite with secondary amines to form N-nitrosoamines.

After a chat to my local pharmacist I have found out that the sale of sodium nitrite to the general public has been ruled as unethical by the National Pharmaceutical Association.

It is not legally restricted in anyway it is just that the NPA has decided that it is a bit iffy.

I am going to look into this though I think the sodium nitrite may not be required anyway due to the high amounts of salt that I am using.

There is no problem in obtaining pure ascorbic acid as it is used in baking etc.