Salted squid

Socksy Squirrel

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on this - I salted some launce, scad and mackerel fillets in september last year, and opened them up at the weekend. I haven't looked through the whole tub, but the top fillet was pretty dry and tough. I tried dragging it through a wreck but didn't get any bites at all. Have I used too much salt and simply dried out the flesh? I have no idea what the fillets lower down the stack look like, I might have ot sort through the whole batch to see.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Hi Thurso,

I am actually working on curing the squid so it is still moist and flexible, I want something a bit like an anchovy fillet when I have finished. Salt cod is like wood until you soak it, except for the slight fishy smell.

I have looked in to methods for salting pork etc before I started.

I am working on a few ideas for additives to replace the natural flavours that may be lost during the salting.

They will be orientated towards piscine rather than human tastes so forget using them for emergency ante pasto :)

I Dont Know Where you are based mate but if you live in a multicultural area try and find a Muaritian grocers shop they salt squid for consumption when you buy it it looks like a squid shaped piece of leather reconstituted it has the texture you described. But my God does it stink ! I would imagine something other than Brave Muaritians would eat it.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!