Salted squid

Socksy Squirrel

Hi there,

I had noticed that the Storm baits are salt impregnated.

I reckon that the squid does leak salt into the sea, it is noticably softer and more opalescent when retrieved.

During salting water is probably initially removed from the squid due to the saturated brine that forms, later on ionic leakage into the meat occurs until it is the same osmotic pressure as the brine.

I use Finish dish washer salt because a coarse grained salt is advised and it is pure prilled industrial salt.

I could use coarse sea salt but it is quite a bit more expensive and offers no advantages that I can see.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slipper limpets are quite common along the south and west coasts of Jersey but the north coast seems to be too hostile for them.

They tend to prefer more sheltered bays as the colonies are easily broken off by storms.

A useful map showing their distribution can be found here, http://www.marlin.ac.uk/species/adult_dist...lafornicata.htm

I have checked on the Finish dishwasher salt and it is 99.99% pure sodium chloride, so I would have no hesitation about putting it on my chips :)

I started a new batch off Monday night, I have used less salt this time. The salt works out at £1.50 for 2kg which is reasonable but I trying to keep the eventual recipe as cheap as possible.

Part of this batch will be used on Saturday night, weather permitting, and part of it will be removed from the salt and allowed to marinate in sardine oil for a further week before testing.

Salar - there is some speculation that to a fish, salt=blood so the extra salty taste might get them to hang on to your bait a second or two longer than otherwise.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

[ 23. February 2005, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Snatcher ]

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

It turned out he was using Tandoori squid. The Bream certainly liked it

WE USED TO USE THE SAME TACTICS ON FRESH WATER BREAM AND CARP,DIDNT REALISE IT HAD THE SAME AFECT ON SALT WATER FISH .MY CHOSEN BAIT WAS PAPRIKA,

WILL HAVE TO TRY IT ON THE CONGER LATER IN THE YEAR,JUST POP SOME SQUID INTO PLASTIC BAG ADD A COUPLE OF SPOON-FULLS OF PAPRIKA INFLATE AND SHAKE LIKE MAD FOR A SECOND OR TWO.

WILL LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS