Pike Fishing?

Rigg'd

I know about the PAC site. I was asking to see the rig that you couldn't grasp, so I could maybe help describe it's uses and why it is the way it is but I don't know which rig you're talking about. If you show me the rig I might be able to help or offer up some other suggestions to tackle the area you're fishing.

But surely a dead fish would still be buoyant? Because yes i would 'keep it simple' and just have the float and a deadbait, but the fish would surely be buoyant?

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about this rig below?? If you are, the weight is there to cock the float and keep the bait down where you want it. Most dead-baits don't float, hence the need for pop-ups and buoyant inserts. Even a frozen bait will generally sink. Some baits like pollan and sometimes perch, are naturally buoyant which can be useful when legering. If you find that a bait is floating after it's defrosted, you can pierce the swim-bladder and the stomach cavity as it is usually these two parts that are storing gases. The bait should now sink.

Do not use self-cocking floats though. If a pike takes the bait, as shown below and lifts the bait higher than the depth of the weight, the float will lie flat, indicating a take. Self-cocking floats remain cocked, so it's possible for a pike to lift a bait, without any visual indication on the float. Very dangerous.

freerove.jpg

*Taken From Hooklinks 'Pike' Website*

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Are you talking about this rig below?? If you are, the weight is there to cock the float and keep the bait down where you want it. Most dead-baits don't float, hence the need for pop-ups and buoyant inserts. Even a frozen bait will generally sink. Some baits like pollan and sometimes perch, are naturally buoyant which can be useful when legering. If you find that a bait is floating after it's defrosted, you can pierce the swim-bladder and the stomach cavity as it is usually these two parts that are storing gases. The bait should now sink.

Do not use self-cocking floats though. If a pike takes the bait, as shown below and lifts the bait higher than the depth of the weight, the float will lie flat, indicating a take. Self-cocking floats remain cocked, so it's possible for a pike to lift a bait, without any visual indication on the float. Very dangerous.

freerove.jpg

*Taken From Hooklinks 'Pike' Website*

Ok thanks alot

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

I will second Andys remarks re self cocking floats..don't use them for deadbaiting.

On most days there is a small amount of drift/wind which will tighten your line so the float is in direct contact with the bait, any thing which moves the bait will show on the float.

Most deadbaits will sink fairly slowly (slower than a lead weight) and this can be used to advantage if the bottom is weedy etc.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Im still interested in what rig it was that Rigg'd was first looking at? It may have been a Sunk float rig.

You might have done some carping mate but like Peter said Pike and carp are very very different see if you can find someone whose a competent piker to show you the ropes mate.Far easier,far better and so much safer for the pike.

Where do you live?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Im still interested in what rig it was that Rigg'd was first looking at? It may have been a Sunk float rig.

I'm not sure what rig he was looking at either. The description could have covered many things. That's why I asked for a link to it but I still didn't get to see it.

*SHOW US THE ORIGINAL RIG/PICTURE YOU WERE DESCRIBING PLEASE RIGG'D*

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If the water allows it you can certainly lure fish and while it probably produces fewer takes most of the time, it will catch fish and will keep you more active which is always a plus in cold weather.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If the water allows it you can certainly lure fish and while it probably produces fewer takes most of the time, it will catch fish and will keep you more active which is always a plus in cold weather.

Thats very true mate! I often chose to lure fish (allthough it might not necesarilly be the best choice for the day) to keep active and be able to travel light.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!