Pike Fishing?

Rigg'd

Since i've failed to carp fish in the season, im turning to have a go at pike fishing for the first time. I want to deadbait on the river thames, but i was looking on how to make rigs. I saw that you have the pike float, then a weight. Surely, the weight just pulls the float under? i want to have a deadbait mid-way depth in the water. Do you have any rigs that can do this?

Here's the weird weight float rig?

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Time-Periods-t855114.html

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the float is large enough, the weight will just stabilize it on the surface.

It doesn't take that much weight to allow the bait to settle down in the water since it will not be naturally buoyant to begin with.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Rigg'd, I don't do a great deal of piking and when I do it is always deadbaiting in lakes/pits. I use a sliding float and stopknot setup, set a few inches overdepth. No lead weight. I like the idea that the bobbing of the float in the waves gives the dead bait a bit of movement, and you can usually see when a pike has first picked up the bait by the way the float behaves.

I find it fascinating to spot the subtle difference in the way the float moves/lifts/sinks slightly or anything different before it actually starts to move off.

As I said, I don't rate myself as an "expert" piker, but "keep it simple" does it for me for a few weeks of the year :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Some frozen bait esp Mackrel heads can be bouyant until they thaw so will float a weight or a split shot or two helps to overcome this ,I usually have a float fished bait right under the rod tip in the margin if the water is deep enough as this stops wind afecting the line to the float if its windy of course!.

Ledger the other bait/baits popped up or hard on the bottom to features such as gravel bars/weed beds/overhanging trees/islands etc and sit and wait and wait and wait as the Pike have not played ball with me yet this year.

Many ledger baits with a pencil float as well for indication and mostly just for something to watch plus they are not affected by wind due to bottom end fixing.

I try to have float rod set up and landing net ready on the top of my barrow when i arrive at chosen swim and drop the bait in the margin straight away whilst carefully and without banging in bank sticks/Crashing gear around sort out the other rod,Often that margin rod will be away whilst i am sorting out the above .

Barrow is great for moving around swims if the banks are not to overgrown,Check out the PAC website as they may be able to put you in touch with someone locally to go with for fish handling,You may be well used to handling Pike and if so perfect but if not its a remote place on the bank when you get your prize on the matt only to find it aint as easy to unhook as you thought Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Rigg'd, I don't do a great deal of piking and when I do it is always deadbaiting in lakes/pits. I use a sliding float and stopknot setup, set a few inches overdepth. No lead weight. I like the idea that the bobbing of the float in the waves gives the dead bait a bit of movement, and you can usually see when a pike has first picked up the bait by the way the float behaves.

I find it fascinating to spot the subtle difference in the way the float moves/lifts/sinks slightly or anything different before it actually starts to move off.

As I said, I don't rate myself as an "expert" piker, but "keep it simple" does it for me for a few weeks of the year :)

Den

How does the sliding float rig work? What are the benefits? (Im new to piking)

Edited by SPSwallow

Rigg'd.....your link takes us to a carp thread, not a rig. Can you let us see the rig in question?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I know about the PAC site. I was asking to see the rig that you couldn't grasp, so I could maybe help describe it's uses and why it is the way it is but I don't know which rig you're talking about. If you show me the rig I might be able to help or offer up some other suggestions to tackle the area you're fishing.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...