Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

Thinlips have arrived in the Medway (29 May). They've probably been around for a while, but this is the first time this year I've witnessed any significant activity (swirling on the tideline). Lip-marks on the mud relatively abundant, too.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tonyfromalnwick:

Hello mullet hunters

Can anyone tell me how far up the east coast these fish venture?

I`d love a crack at them, but suspect I`m at least 150 miles to far north !!

Cheers

Tony

:cool: Well, they get them in Scotland so I should imagine they are all around the coast, they may just take longer to get north of the channel. :D

tonyfromalnwick:

Hello mullet hunters

Can anyone tell me how far up the east coast these fish venture?

I`d love a crack at them, but suspect I`m at least 150 miles to far north !!

Cheers

Tony

To my definite knowledge they are caught at Invarary, Troon and Ayr!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 30. May 2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Tony,

As far as I am aware, thick lips are caught as far north as Seaton Carew, Sea Angler did an article a few years back.

On my infrequent visits back home I have thought North Shields Fish Quay and Amble Harbour look very Mullety and worth a visit.

If you were to put out a bread bag for a couple of days and watch for signs of them feeding off it, this may prove useful.

You could also look for signs of mullet at low tide such as lip marks on the Algae. These look like someone has drawn a line in the algae with two fingers.

Look at all of Leon's articles on Anglers Net as these will give you the required background information and let us know how you get on.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

That far north, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to start - late June would be soon enough, I reckon.

As Tony suggested - a bread-bag might reveal signs of interest. Alsao as Tony said, lip-marks on mud, slipways, woodwork etc. are tangible proof that mullet visit.

I'd expect the fishing to be somewhat difficult. Here in the southeast, we get fewer mullet than they do on the Channel coast, but we get more than they do in north Norfolk. I'd expect that northwards thinning of numbers to continue.

Jim Gibbinson:

That far north, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to start - late June would be soon enough, I reckon.  

Jim

I usually don't bother with the Medway until late June. Then again I am lazy and I wait to hear reports of regular catches before I can motivate myself to go down there.

Anyone know if anything was caught out of the Medway, this weekend?

[ 31. May 2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Had a good fish over 3lb yesterday not sure if it was a thick or thin lip? It is very long and thin and its lips did look quite thin? I took a picture on my phone and will try and send it to Paul in Jersey to see what he thinks.

I thing thins will still take bread sometimes?

Had some cracking bites off the top as well and should of had more. Things are really starting to get going down here on the south coast.