Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean. I belive the record before last came from Weymouth.

How did you know my biggest came from Spain ? This year I am repeating a holiday from a few years ago, going to SW France on the Atlantic coast, which will mean a day ( or two ) away from the family, hopping across the border to San Sebastian. I have never, never seen so many Mullet in my life. The locals fish for them with beachcaster gear and for reasons they don't seem to understand why they rarely catch any. A brother and I fished with light coarse gear and took loads, my biggest landed 5 1/2, lost one half as big again when it got around a mooring rope ( ******* ).

Though Dave ( Breamagain ) and I both caught in the Weymouth marina the last time down they were very timid ( OK they are at the best of times ). The local tackle shop recomended maggots and sold us a duff pint, ( half manky ), did the Mullet want to play, did they heck. Plenty of fish but just touching the bait ( flake, the maggots did not provide any interest whatsoever ) then moving on, heart rending stuff. Took our fish from the "inflow", fishing from the walkway. Have ideas on how to fish that spot next time ( thanks to Jims feature in Course Angling Today Nov 03 , 2003 . . Stacking Henry ! where are the years going to ? ).

Looking forward to reaping some local knowledge and swopping ( tall ) stories over a Madras. Dave and I both fly, sea and course fish. Anything from Tench ( we have a 4 day trip booked for the start of the season after these Doctor's, through to Carp, Pike, Barbel, Bass etc ).

[ 20. May 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Boyd ]

Andrew Boyd

Ashly,

Mullet are around 7 quid per stone, thats 50 pence per pound.

A commercial can at times get 10 to 75 stone in one hit, then they have value mate.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Andrew we do a bit of Carp and coarse fishing as well and know a couple of great lakes if the mulleting is a bit slow?

Don't forget PC Libeys boat caught mullet that still stands at over 10lb! Caught in Portland Harbour just next door.

Also I took my biggest mullet about 20 years ago in Spain on the Costa Del Sol when I was just a nipper. I fished a harbour in a place called Porta Bunose near San Pedro and Marbella. Totally illegal to fish there I belive and I used to get down there early before the security guards arrived. Most of the mullet in that harbour wre huge and usually got a bite as soon as your bread hit the water. Best was 8LB 8oz! But like I said was really to easy and the fish seem to behave totally diferent to over here.

Was at Drummore,Mull of Galloway at the weekend.No sign of the mullet yet. Looking forward to their return!!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Seem to be catching plenty of mullet here:

http://www.avalonpier.com/reports/calendar/calendar.pl

:)

Only trouble is, they look like this:

http://avalonpier.com/species/mullet.html

:(

I think I'm getting mullet withdrawal