Converting RGB to CYMK - HELP!

Newt

I'm pretty sure that Photoshop can handle this but apparently it takes someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

I saw a request on another forum for someone to do a conversion and offered to help without knowing exactly what I was getting in to. Oops. The request (with photo attached) was

Hi Newt,

I need this attached file to be converted into a CYMK file (one file, not split up into 4) Just this one file, needs to stay the same pixel size and have the colours as true to the RGB version as possible. I can convert it but the green and Spectrum bits go dull and lifeless.

Can some kind (and expert) soul bail me out? I can forward the .jpg to you. It isn't large at under 130Mb.

specbus.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt, taking me back a few years again!

Your friend probably hasn't got a problem if she is viewing the file on screen, when you use photoshop or whatever, (recent versions of photoshop are very good at converting, earlier ones are not) it uses a colour profile for the OUTPUT device, printer, litho etc to make the file. This will, in many cases be radically different from the colour profile for the screen. I haven't got photoshop on this PC but I have on another. if she needs any further help I can fire that one up and check for you, but I would suggest she looks at the hard copy first.

Edited by Huge_Vitae

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

I'm pretty sure that Photoshop can handle this but apparently it takes someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

I saw a request on another forum for someone to do a conversion and offered to help without knowing exactly what I was getting in to. Oops. The request (with photo attached) was

Can some kind (and expert) soul bail me out? I can forward the .jpg to you. It isn't large at under 130Mb.

specbus.jpg

Newt

I don't know what version of Photoshop you are using. I am still on V5. In Photoshop 5 one selects Image, Mode, CMYK, then save a copy.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Huge - it will be for printed output.

Thanks Cory. I'll have a go at it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well, Jan tackled the conversion and it was almost too easy. One of those 'save as' things.

I sent the new file along and will be interested to hear back.

Oops - the conversion was easy enough but the converted copy did not match the original and we can't seem to make it do so.

Can any kind soul on here do the deed? I think the pic is going to vistaprint Friday for a largish production run and I'd love to make this work.

Hi Newt ..

When you say the coversion does not match original, in what way is it different ?

I have conv your img to CYMK and can see no diff in PS CS3.

The difficulty I have is the "save" option. There is no "save" as CYMK.

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Here is the original (right) and the converted (left). The converted version is more of a lime green on the border and the multi-coloured letter in the text part.

Note: photos removed and posted on a later reply.

What prog you using Newt ?

It is, after all, just a printer directive.

I have converted using PS CS3 and on screen there is no difference in colour or shade.

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.