The Cost of Angling

sam-cox

http://www.investinfish.org/documents/TheM...Anglers_002.pdf

The Motivation, Demographics and Views of South West Recreational Sea Anglers and their Socio-economic Impact on the Region

“Recreational sea anglers are directly affected and sometimes restricted by fisheries management policies.This report, conducted by Nautilus consultants, provides insight into anglers’ views of current fisheries management policies and their suggestions for future management options. The report, as its title suggests, also looks at recreational sea anglers’ potential economic contribution to the region and investigates the drivers and the interdependencies between recreational sea angling, commercial fishing and the environment.”

“Sea angling in the South West region generates £165 million of expenditure

within the region each year – £110 million of this is from resident anglers, and £55 million from visiting anglers. This expenditure feeds into the regional

economy and will generate economic income and output in a number of sectors

Invest in Fish South West bio-economic model. We estimate that over 3000 jobs are linked to sea angling in the South West.”

cheers

Tom

NFSA conservation group

BASS restoration project

SACN campaigner

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total cost for me in angling festival this year, my first one :P , £30 bait £27 match entries £10 fuel

total fish caught, 1 tiny rockling at 29cm, just under size for the festival :P . Even the junior parr match which usually sees a decent bag of fish, my lads had 16 fish between them last year, saw the winner with 7 fish for 13oz and 14th place with 1 oz 3 dr. Its a sad day indeed when the kids cant even catch any tiddlers :P and yes my boys fish was returned alive. Think thats my match career over already Ill stick to the pleasure fishing :P Its hard enough to catch fish when I can select the best conditions without struggling to find the fish when the match is on :P Bempton was out of bounds BC :P anyways the cliffs scare me on my own :P

[ 26. September 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: skippytheroo ]

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

My first trip to LA was a financial nightmare, most of it was equipment, rods reels and trailer sparesand by the end of the weekend the cost was well into £700, but I did have a lot of new bits and pieces and a serviced trailer and a spare wheel.

If I am allowed to mention a coarse fishing trip that went on this forum hows this for a bad nights fishing.

I was working in preston and we booked into a hotel that backed onto the river. I took the van over the flood bank and down onto a patch of gravel that is under the bridge for the A6.

We fished through till midnight and all we managed was eels despite the target fish been barbel :) So it was time to go before the hotel bar shut....a full 200 yards to drive but we didnt reckon on the steepness of the floodbank and the dew which had fallen. The van was fully loaded with drums of paint and two sets of fishing gear and would not make it up the gravel slope.

So I backed down and took a run at it. We got a bit further up and decided to unload the van to lighten the load. We carried well over a tonne of stuff up the last 20 yards and reversed the van back down the slope. I decided to reverse under the bridge to get a longer run up at it...and this is where the trip took a turn for the worst :( The gravel bank I had been driving on was very solid and no problem to drive on...but....taking a slightly wider swing to get up the slope was a big mistake!

My front wheel caught the waters edge and slipped sideways into a few inches of water, but every turn of the wheel just moved the van sideways as the gravel collapsed and within seconds I had water up to the bottom of the door on the passenger side. We got some ratchet straps out and tried to winch it out ...or at least stop it sliding further...but by the time we had done the water was past the window winder on the passenger side and the van is at one frightening angle!!!...the drivers side was dry!

So its after midnight, the vans stuck and the bars closing. Fork it ..leave it there and we'll sort it in the morning. Great plan! :D

It was at this point that my fishing partner pointed out the river is tidal! Now personally I have never checked the tide tables when going barbel fishing so we did not have a clue whether the river was up or down but never mind I am a fully paid up member of the AA ( the knights of the road and all that garbage) so I gave em a ring.

When the women on the end of the phone finally stopped laffin she very politely explained that roadside recovery does not include pulling a vehicle out of a river! But she could send a recovery vehicle contractor to help me out.

Twenty minute later a tow truck turned up...flashing lights and all the works. When he stopped laffin he explained he was not prepared to back his truck down the slope at the risk of getting it stuck and would have to get a 4x4 in to act as a pivot at the bottom of the slope as there was no direct pull to get the van out. By this time I had minnows taking up residence in the passenger footwell of my van (which I was still making the payments on) and my door mounted speaker where well under water!

A plan was hatched to recover the vehicle and a price agreed so the tow truck driver got on the radio to call for back up...as far as the price goes I did not have a right lot of choice :(

The flashing lights had by this time attracted the attention of the night porter who came down to find out what was going on and give us a ****ing for trespassing. I explained to him we were hotel residents so all was forgiven but at this stage the evening took a serious turn for the worst!!! The bar shuts at 1am and we had fat chance of getting a pint! We persuaded him to pull us 4 pints and leave em out for when we finally got in...put them on my room bill.

The 4x4 turned up...a complicated arrangement of pulleys was set up and the recovery started..which I have to say went well and soon my van was on the back of the recovery truck...thank heavens for that..or perhaps not!!

The recovery driver at this stage explained that it stays on the truck till I pay!

...visa?

...not at 1.30 am sir!

hmmm....what do you take ?

Cash only!...and we can give you a lift to a cash machine if you want.

So its off to find a mini bank...cash paid and hit the bar..thank god thats all over and we have some beers in to help us chill! We got to the bar..drank the beers and felt far better ( as you do) Ordered some more beers to go on the room bill...

Sorry sir ..you paid cash for the room so we cant serve you any more....time for a sense of humour failure! Some silly rule says they cant serve us in the bar unless paying by visa...but if we go to the room and order room service they will bring it up and we can pay cash! So this is what we did!...

A bad days fishing and an expensive one...all true (the pictures the recovery driver took are probably on the internet somewhere)and I will now itemise the cost for one evenings fishing!

Bait £3

Lost hooks to eels £1

Day ticket 2 x £2 _£4

hotel (3 hrs kip) £80

Recovery £300

Total £388

Expensive yes!...but it wasnt till the following day when we could do a damage assesment properly that I realised my works laptop was under the passenger seat of the van. I dried it out but i guess minnow spawn does a laptop no good :( so despite costing me £1600 the replacement costs were £799.

This brings the final cost of one evenings fishing on the ribble to £1187...not a good day!

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

A weeks fishing?

£1,000 deposit for the week. Followed by an extra £450.

Bait? £160.

Accomodation? £820

Fuel? Around £500

Drinks? £500

Meals? £600.

I think that equates to £3,930 for last weeks Weymouth trip. Divided by 6?

If, that`s what it costs. That`s what it costs!

Domino`s? Couple of quid a set!

Yet we had a good week! What cost do you put on someone getting a first, or PB? What if everyone gets one? Priceless!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Paul, You are 100% correct, mates,happy memories,and the craic are worth all the money in the world....if I counted up all the cash I've spent on fishing gear and boats, trips,etc etc over the 40 years I've been fishing, it would probs be tens of thousands...who gives a four X...... As you know,I have a rather substantial amount of money coming soon ( Did i tell you i made £4,500 last Wednesday :D ) .....wheres it going,after seeing the grandkids ok,......taking me fishing, thats where..... :D:D all over the world ..... :D I will be skint, but very happy .....as the man said, theres no pockets in shrouds.....

15 years ago, my wfe won £24,000 on the bingo, first thing I/we bought....my first boat.....wee Solar Jiffy, and i've never looked back...spending money on Fishing that is...... :D:rolleyes:

Geez, I nearly forgot the £7,500 car I'm getting to go fishing IN.....

[ 04. October 2005, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

my costs this week.

Monday 3 packs of rag and 1 bag of squid=8.60

Thursday 3 packs of rag and 1 bag of sqid=8.50

this Saturday commings boat trip=200 lug & 5 bags of squid=37.50

Fual=10.00

Total=64.50

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!