First centrepin - advice needed

RUDD

I was aking much the same questions when I bought my Purist about 3 years ago. What I've found over the years is:-

I can still Wally cast with a line guard (but I'm not sure if I'd have improved at a faster rate had I removed it while learning the art.)

Lignum sticks are a real aid to casting

On my 3/4" drum I have never experienced problems with 'bedding in' when I've loaded 110 meter spools of floating line.

Enjoy. Any excuse to use mine is taken.

Dave

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had to send it back.

I found a very sharp cut into the aliminum on the main part of the reel just under the legs.

I will be receiving a new one any day.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

re line bedding in, on my wider spooled browning I can comfortably fish with 60m of line on it, but I have had problems with much more.

leon, we must hold our reels in the opposit hands, i hold all mine with my right, but i also fish with the handles facing up, I haven't taken my handles off as I did read that it may (possibly) effect the balance of the real over time, I thought that was rubbish but didn't risk it, your comments have given me confidence.

I'd like to hear what alan roe has to say.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

hi rudd, just saw you posted just before me, if you get a cash refund try a second hand trudex from one of the guys on here. I got one from alan and it's been a dream and cheaper than your ondex.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest sslatter

Hi Rudd..

"Any further out and I will use the waggler / fixed spool for this."

Just my opinion, but I think you'd find a closed face reel much better for floatfishing (at more than about 2 rodlengths out and further) than any fixed spool reel. They are truly horrible reels for river floatfishing, imo.

Got one too Rudd, my old Trudex was getting a bit battered. The Okuma does benefit from removing the handles, they tend to trap the odd coil of 3lb line and the handle 'bar' that's left is ideal for batting the spool. Doesn't take much to get the spool moving and I'm very pleased with mine for the money (about 65 quid)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Argyll

did you get it off ebay? SASIAN100?

I won with a 64.00 bid.

After watching several auctions I worked out 60 to 65 was the going price.

they have an rrp of 120.00 but are selling at 90.00 in the shops that have them and there are not many.

RUDD

Same guy, cost me £66. Had it on the river twice now and its very impressive for the money, leaves my Trudex standing. I almost bought another Youngs but I figured that if the Okuma didn't work out, then I could sell it for about what I paid for it. Think I'm keeping it.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Do you have the bronze vtr1002 model with the two bearings?

the cheaper silver vtr1000 has no bearings.

I had and will have replacment bronze model.

Was impressed how smooth and how long the spool rotates if you give it a whirl.

It is also very light in weight, I was very surprised.

It also looks very nice for all those tackle tarts out there.

Cant wait to get replacement and give it a go.

RUDD