new line on reel

zenith10

I just tie the line onto my backing line, or spool (u can tape it but never done that myself), attach reel to rod (I never bother threading thru any rings) bung the new line spool into the bath or water your fishing, then just reel in slowly but steadily (constant speed) using the other hand further up the rod keeping the line tightish as you reel in (not too tight, just enough to prevent loops).

zenith, i wouldn't recomend just taping on the free end as this might giveway to slippage,for a few thoughts on Spooling Reels With Line

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

• 2 years later...

Obviously, the finer the line, the easier it is to tie it on to the spool for which I use an 'Arbor Knot' (link below)

With heavier line, I find that the knot slips round the spool and I spend ages getting nowhere, fast. When this happens I usually put a little sticky over the top of the line just to stop the slippage. Of course, I only usually find this happens when I am on the bank and don't have any tape with me ... the last resort becomes to cut a bit off a price label from something in my box (or from the muchies I've taken for the day) and that seems to do the trick nicely.

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers put something in the middle of the spool for you to clip your line to ... ideally one of those little holes like they have on a mobile phone so that you can thread it through and tie a knot.

How to tie an "Arbor Knot" (animated)

Regards,

Sean A

... that one won't get away again!

I find that the knot slips round the spool and I spend ages getting nowhere, fast.

I just make a noose in the end of the line by tying (water knot) a little loop in the end of the line and pulling the main line through the loop, then i just drop it over the spool. If it doesn't lock when you start winding its because you've got it the wrong way round on the spool (just slip it off and turn it over), i suspect its the same for the Arbor knot when it slips.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I've only ever used a few granny knots! Fixed-spool reels hold so much line that you're never actually going to run out, and even if you did there'd be plenty of stretch in 100 yards+ of mono that I doubt the line would snap at the knot.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've only ever used a few granny knots! Fixed-spool reels hold so much line that you're never actually going to run out, and even if you did there'd be plenty of stretch in 100 yards+ of mono that I doubt the line would snap at the knot.

Ive only ever seen or heard of someone running out of line once in fresh water and that was some years back spinning for salmon on the lune. He was using an old Mitchell 300 that he had put some heavy line on (15lb?), sadly for him it didn't hold that much (100yrds?). I was stood next to him when he hook the fish and shouted "I'M IN GET THE NET", I'm not sure what he wanted me to do with it as the fish just took off like an express train never to be seen. Ive encountered plenty of salmon but this was some thing else, the power it had was awesome, it must have been very big and i don't think any knot would have helped but at least you if you use a good knot you should snap at the rig end and a good reason to use a weaker hook length.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The main reason i tie my line to the spool is if it drops in the drink with the bail arm open i can still retrieve the reel. Not so much of a problem with modern reel seats but on old rods with cork handles and a cpl of chrome rings to hold the reel. A reel falling off the rod wasnt that unknown.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

The main reason i tie my line to the spool is if it drops in the drink with the bail arm open i can still retrieve the reel. Not so much of a problem with modern reel seats but on old rods with cork handles and a cpl of chrome rings to hold the reel. A reel falling off the rod wasnt that unknown.

It certainly wasn't Terry.

When I was a youngster, my Uncle gave me an Aerial centrepin, circia 1930-40 ish.

It was my pride and joy, in great nick, ( I wonder what it would be worth today).

It fell off my rod into about 10ft of water in the canal basin. I tried to get it with my landing net but no joy, it had sunk into the silt on the bottom. I then tried pulling on the line, but I hadn't tied it properly, and when it came to the end, the knot just slipped. I was ready to jump in after it, but my mates Uncle who was fishing with us, wouldn't let me.

After that, I always made sure that the line was securely tied to the reel.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John