Anybody thinking of changing their Yak next season?

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Ive been thinking for the past two years about moving on to a different Yak.

Should have more time to get out on the water next year, so can justify the change. :rolleyes:

Going to cut down even more on the kit I carry on the yak too.

Anyone else looking at different kit for next season, any changes in mind, be it, Kayak, paddle, rods, P.F.D etc?

Bill. :)

I see your working hard to try and get some interest going! The forum is really quiet, has been for quite a while iv'e noticed.

I think minimalist is the way to go, I'm re-thinking what gear to carry, how to store bait and any caught fish.

As for kayaks, I like the look of the Manta Ray, but it's a bit expensive for me. I'll stick with me trusty Bic, it did ok today! It's sitting on the patio covered in bits of fish, just as it should be!

I'm definately only fishing one rod from now on, much less hassle, with a handline as backup.

The nice new johnny bar I have isn't really suited to my kayak, might sell it.

The anglers seat with two rodholders is comfortable and ideal for trolling for Bass.

I have tackle sorted, I use a fladen tackle belt, just the job. Plenty of zip pockets.

I have a nice insulated box with a lid for bait, an old lunchbox, but it takes up too much room. As for fish, just where do you put them?

If I catch for or five decent size cod, I'm stuffed! Iv'e tried a bread tray strapped to the rear deck, but it's awkward to access without siting sidesaddle, and when I comfy and dry, I'm reluctant to dangle my feet into a strong tide run, as the Bic is a nice dry comfortable kayak.

I have a car type luggage netting to fix over the top, but it's not ideal. I suppose the best things are a couple of soft flexible large cool bags with strap handles, with a caribiner, they can be clipped to my deck safety rope and hang in the sea until I want to move.

Any ideas?

Hi Mike

Same as you, I mostly take one rod out with me.

Normaly a very light spinning rod, I like to fish for Bass mostly.

I enjoy a light rod and line, you can feel the fish, and I think its more fun than just yanking it over the gunnels with a broomstick and 20lb line, just my oppinion of course. :rolleyes:

Will somtimes take a light 10lb Maximus boat rod if I want some live bait.

Most of the fish I catch ( when I do catch :rolleyes::D:P ), go back.

But on the odd occasion I take one for the table, I use a fish stringer.

Something I used to use years ago, when spearfishing :cc_surrender:

Its basicly a piece of stainless 4mm bar, about 6 ins long with a rounded point, in the middle of it I have drilled a small hole to pass about 3ft of cord through,thread the cord through a length of small clear fuel line ( B&Q) tie a knot and pull tight to bar.

On the other end of the cord, I have a stainless gateclip.

When you catch a fish you want to keep, pass the bar, and cord through the mouth of the fish, and out of the gill plates, the bar will hold the fish on the stringer.

Where I fish there are a lot of Pot Markers, so Ill paddle to one and clip the catch to it.

The catch will stay alive, and obviously fresh untill your ready to go in.

If there are no pot bouys, you could use a wieght with bouy attatched, just drop it off the yak when you reach your fishing mark, and clip your catch to it accordingly.

What works for one, may not work for all, but may be worth a try mate.

I posted a pic of it a couple of years back, will try again if youd like?

Thats if I can remember how to post the pics again :D

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

I'm happy with what I've got now, my old Prowler 15 still does the business and the Trident 15 is more than capable of the heavy work. I have excellent paddles for my wife and I, have more safety gear than I need and plenty enough paddling and fishing gear. I've just bought Yakboards with shorter paddles, thigh straps etc and these are to hand for short evening, small water and surfing sessions so even though I am sorely tempted to treat myself to a Scupper Pro I shall desist until the girls have got their Kea's...probably ;D

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Been thinking of selling my p13 and swapping for a scupper pro for a while now. They seem to be the in fashion paddle at the moment.

Mark do you knw if the price will be remaining the same for a scupper pro or will it be getting hiked up a bit this year reflecting the market demand ??

Been thinking of selling my p13 and swapping for a scupper pro for a while now. They seem to be the in fashion paddle at the moment.

Mark do you knw if the price will be remaining the same for a scupper pro or will it be getting hiked up a bit this year reflecting the market demand ??

All I know is that the price is currently set at £479 for 2009 which, having paddled one a few times this year is a bargain.

I'm happy with what I've got now, my old Prowler 15 still does the business and the Trident 15 is more than capable of the heavy work. I have excellent paddles for my wife and I, have more safety gear than I need and plenty enough paddling and fishing gear. I've just bought Yakboards with shorter paddles, thigh straps etc and these are to hand for short evening, small water and surfing sessions so even though I am sorely tempted to treat myself to a Scupper Pro I shall desist until the girls have got their Kea's...probably ;D

Hiya Mark

Are you sure you can desist :D , will the temptation be too great ?

I can sense a little hesitation there......( Kidding ;) )

The Scupper Pro is a great Yak, that has earnt, almost a cult following in the states for many years, a respected and much loved Kayak.

Its popularity has spread to the U.K. now, and at £479.00 is a great buy.

I was tempted by the Pro a few years ago, but went for the Prowler 15 ( The Mistress ).

I have the Scrambler XT for the quick short trips, love the open aspect of her cockpit, she too is an old stager.

Bet the girls are excited about their Kea's, they will soon be fighting you for the Scupper Pro :D

Heard a rumour that Ocean Kayak were going to launch an updated Pro, have you heard anything?, or was it just a rumour?

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hiya Mark

Are you sure you can desist :D , will the temptation be too great ?

I can sense a little hesitation there......( Kidding ;) )

The Scupper Pro is a great Yak with almost a cult following in the states, a respected and much loved Kayak.

Its popularity has spread to the U.K. now too.

I was tempted by the Pro a few years ago, but went for the Prowler 15 ( The Mistress ).

I have the Scrambler XT for the quick short trips, love the open aspect of her cockpit, she too is an old stager.

Bet the girls are excited about their Kea's, they will soon be fighting you for the Scupper Pro :D

Heard a rumour that Ocean Kayak were going to launch an updated Pro, have you heard anything?, or was it just a rumour?

A rumour I think - but i'd probably be the last to know :D Seen a fantastic mod done to one though. The Yanks got Scupper Pro's back this year (that's why it was a cult following - they didn't have them anymore) but we've always had them - the Kiwis and the Tunisians make them. I'm sure I can resist the temptation but I might decided that want is greater than need and untemptedly buy one anyhow.

I took the Prowler 15 as my first yak, bougth a second too but then had to wave goodbye when I got the Trident. It's not that far removed in speed from the Scupper IMO but has far better storage. Handling goes to the Scupper, anchoring stability to the P15. I like the Scrambler 11 too - cracking little yak, a superb evening boat and looks easy enough to rig but i'd not contemplate one of my codding excursions.

Yeah, the girtls want Kea's and have both paddled them. At 3 and 5 (now 4 and 6) they could manage short distances but it was too much for them. Maybe next summer the eldest will get hers. Her friend, 2 days younger, jumped in it to try, zoomed off, went backwards, turned etc and then proceeded to paddle well over a mile unaided - we were gobsmacked and he had one for his birthday (his parents both used to kayak and were over the moon). He's had fish from the back of mine too, including pike.

• 1 month later...

I've been using a Tarpon 140 for a couple of seasons now and it's been okay but I decided in the Summer to get something a bit easier to launch and popped down to my local shop fully intending to buy a Malibu Mini-X. Due to some superb salesmanship and a few convincing arguments, I didn't end up buying the Malibu and subsequently took delivery of a Hobie Revolution and, I am absolutely delighted :D

I always thought the Mirage Drive system might be a bit of a joke but it works superbly well and appears to be incredibly efficient.

As I only took delivery late in the season, I am really looking forward to giving it a thorough thrashing next Summer as, although it's been out on several occasions, there's nothing like a bit of warmer weather to make the whole process a tad more enjoyable... :)

Kayak: Tarpon 140 Angler camo

I've been using a prowler elite since they first arrived on these shores over 2.5 years ago and to be honest unless OK or someone else radically improves things i don't think i'll bother changing, the elites fine travelling light or fully loaded up and i've covered trips of upto about 20 miles in it. I do have a yakboard as well (for messing in the surf) but i rarely use it. As for paddles i'm still using the cheap single piece TNP paddle which i'm sure most people would rate as being complete rubbish(yet i get along just fine with it) i suppose i could spend £200+ on an all carbon paddle but is a 10x increase in price going to translate to a 10x improvement in speed or distance i can paddle i doubt it so i won't bother with that either i think, basically i'm happy with the set up i have already and i don't see the point of changing things just for changes sake or because my yak & paddle aren't the ones at the top of the latest fashion/trend pole.

Edited by snakey1