Powerpro or Fireline

tincatinca

I need to replace the braid on some of my reels and whilst I am very familiar with Fireline, I have no experience of Powerpro. As I am looking at a range for which covers trotting for Roach to big Carp and Cats I would be interested to hear the opinons of others regarding the two braids.

Thanks in anticipation

I’ve used both, and very much prefer PowerPro. It is certainly rounder in section, more uniform and less ‘crinkly’ than Fireline, and this makes it effectively more supple and smoother to use. I rate it very highly, though I believe it’s only available down to 8lb strength (and you can get Fireline down to 4lb).

I bought the crystal Fireline in 4lb, and had to take it off my pin during its first outing because it broke off at the reel for no apparent reason, leaving twenty yards of undegradeable wildlife-murdering line in the Hampshire Avon, along with my favourite float. To my eternal mortification.

<looks heavenwards> Sorry, Izaak.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

I need to replace the braid on some of my reels and whilst I am very familiar with Fireline, I have no experience of Powerpro. As I am looking at a range for which covers trotting for Roach to big Carp and Cats I would be interested to hear the opinons of others regarding the two braids.

Thanks in anticipation

TT I prefer Power pro over Fireline but have a look at some first if you can, you may prefer the fireline.

i too prefer fireline over Pp thesedays and crystal is the line of choice although i might try their new tracer line which is two tone green

i had the opersite problem in that it was Pp that was noisy as it ran through the rings probably due to its braided nature ,where ass fireline being a fusion line is smoother and once worn in is smoother through the eyes / rings

a good tip for you to keep your lines in tip top condition , spy some Mr sheen / pledge onto a cloth and wind your line on threogh this ,it'll help expell water and make the line slicker whilst casting .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I have used Fireline for several years and to be honest, apart from the odd wind knot I have never had a problem with it. I have also widely used it in flame colour which I have found to be very useful when night fishing. I know that it comes down to personal preference and I was interested in the comments relating to Powerpro being softer, which to me is a minus as for instance, when trotting I would think that it would not come off the water as well when mending the line. Thanks Chavender for the tip re Mr Sheen/Pledge. I will try that. Now to get some new line ordered.

Another vote for Power Pro

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

With one being fused and the other braided I dont think its fair to compare.I dont like fused lines never have so would have to vote Power Pro. I mainly use Spiderwire but have used Power Pro enough (in 50-80lb) to be confident in reccomending it.

Worth noting the two reccomending Fire line both use it in the lighter strains for trotting so it may have benifits in this area that as I dont use it/havnt used it am unaware of.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

With one being fused and the other braided I dont think its fair to compare.I dont like fused lines never have so would have to vote Power Pro. I mainly use Spiderwire but have used Power Pro enough (in 50-80lb) to be confident in reccomending it.

Worth noting the two reccomending Fire line both use it in the lighter strains for trotting so it may have benifits in this area that as I dont use it/havnt used it am unaware of.

I note your point re the difference between the make up of the two however, I have used Fireline, particularly for Carp and occassionally Catfish for many years and one of the main reasons is that when fishing braid/fusion type lines I always use at least a yard of loaded rig tube and I find that fireline is easier to thread through the tube than limp braid. I have also used it extensively for feeder fishing and once again I use it in conjunction with rig tube the main reason being fish safety. I am sure that powerpro is good else so many people would not use it and that is is why I asked the question as although I have used several braided lines in the past I have had no experience of powerpro. For the way I fish and the methods I use I personally have a preference for the stiffer material and for example when trotting, I believe it gives me more control (ie the ability to mend the line off the water) although the terminal tackle will be on a length of nylon attached to the fireline. Again I stress that this is purely a personal preference and I am both sure and accept that others will think differently which is no bad thing because otherwise we would all be doing the same thing. In reality, there are many ways to crack an egg and long may it be so. The hard part is to constantly pick the right way on the day. :D

Edited by tincatinca

I've used Fireline since it was first introduced to the UK, never ever had a problem. Acquired a reel already loaded with Power Pro when one of the forum members died, miss the bloke, love the reel, happy with the line but I thought it neither better nor worse than Fireline, just different.