playing fish

The Flying Tench

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do though raise the rod at the net so the tip cushions any final lunges and I can lift the fish in the water.

I'm sure you don't raise it TOO far. A combination of a light rod and a strong fish risks that "final lunge" busting the tip if you put too much strain on the tip.

Of course raising the tip to some extent is unavoidable if you are netting your own fish - and decidedly dodgy if the fish is brought in too fresh.

So wherever possible I get someone else to net my bigger fish - that way I can get a sensible distance away from the netter, keep the rod at a lower angle, exert more pressure, and thus bring the fish in much earlier.

Why bring it in earlier ? To reduce stress on the fish and thus speed up the recovery time if you return the fish. Hard-fighting fish need a lot of reviving sometimes.

Like this 16 lb Tigerfish.

revivingthebigtigertt8.jpg

In the above picture there is an additional reason for minimising the time spent with hands in the water - this is crocodile country!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Playing fish as per RW :) Used to be all the rage :)

As for fingers up the rod, I find myself doing it quite a lot, but usually well in to the fight, and when a fish is stubbornly refusing to "come up". I do have a pair of Leeda Ikons which have a section a short way up which is for just that purpose.

As Budgie said, it is a very sensitive way of controlling sudden lunges, and much to be preferred to the "one hand on the hip" approach which is REALLY poncy :)

Regarding putting the rod under the water, what do you do if a fish wants to go left or right and under a snaggy bush? No good keeping the rod up then is it? I used to catch a lot of very big fish (30lbs+) from under bushes/snags, and the only way to land them was to shove the rod under the water and hang on :)

Just seen Daves post, and raising the rod too high can be disasterous as I found out at Wingham last May :oops: had no option then though, I had run out of platform to step back on :)

I have an extension on my carp landing net handle, extra 3ft and foam to keep it afloat. Makes a huge difference especially as I usually have to land fish while on my own. My river fishing net has an even longer handle, a cut down fibre glass pole :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

The real beuty of having someone else on the net is that you can "walk" a big fish back over the last few yards to the net rather than having to pump it.No matter how big the fish you can lead it like a dog on a lead over the net.Salmon anglers use this technique a lot.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The real beauty of having someone else on the net is that you can "walk" a big fish back over the last few yards to the net rather than having to pump it.No matter how big the fish you can lead it like a dog on a lead over the net.Salmon anglers use this technique a lot.

I do that a lot Budgie, as my net floats, I just chuck it in the water and grip the end between my legs. The front of the net is then about 6 to 9" under the water, and I lead the fish quietly over the front :)

Not quite got the confidence to do it with pike though, because there is often a treble hook hanging out of the fishes mouth.

Tell you what I do hate though, is the guy who offers to net the fish for you, and then wants to wait until the fish is practically on the bank before putting the net out. I am sure he is secretly hoping I will lose the fish.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

I often find myself using my left hand a foot or so above the reel to add some more pressure. I usually use soft rods, so maybe that's why? When I was trotting at the weekend, in one swim there was no choice - there was no slack water at my feet and pumping normally wasn't enough to bring the bigger fish to the net. I wouldn't say it's a fashion/style thing, it just helps to add more pressure.

I've said it before, but I completely agree with Budgie's soft rod theory.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Playing fish as per RW Used to be all the rage

I often use that position - particularly towards the end of a long session if I have had several fish already.

Not because I want to appear stylish (I often fish alone anyway - so no-one to impress) but because after 74 years of supporting my imperial carcass, my back needs trading in for a new one. It is a very comfortable position.

...and Den, you are quite right about putting the rod tip under the water if necessary. Fish going under the boat, especially a prop-driven one - is another situation. I can remember a big eagle ray in Tasmania where I had to lean out and pass both rod AND REEL from lefthand to right underwater as the fish went round both anchor rope and berley bag. Had to do it twice! Boated the fish eventually.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

The real beauty of having someone else on the net is that you can "walk" a big fish back over the last few yards to the net rather than having to pump it.No matter how big the fish you can lead it like a dog on a lead over the net.Salmon anglers use this technique a lot.

"the last few yards" - landing a bronze whaler.

backinupxt9.jpg

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

:) :) I reckon you had a litle nap, and woke up to find the tide had gone out Dave :)

Den