Too Macho to wear a Lifejacket!

Colin Brett

In the aftermath of the Wexford tradedy, I hope that responsible anglers will now make sure that others less responsible and with an image problem do wear them.

On a recent trip to Ireland, I arranged a shore trip with a friend, who brought along his 10 year old son. The lad refused to wear a lifejacket saying he could swim OK, but he put it on when I put mine on. Perhaps he thought I had some sort of image?

Wear them even on the bank!!

Colin

I know the rules in my boat are very simple. Wear a life jacket when we are moving or we don't move. Wear a life jacket all the time when the water is rough or I will put you on shore. And this is on freshwater lakes/rivers.

Now that you can get inflatable ones that are made much like suspenders (braces?) and will auto-inflate in water and hold you with your face out of water even if you are not conscious, it is just plain silly not to wear one.

The sea has a long history of eating the careless/foolish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

looks like i wont be going out on your boat newt :(:D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Never mind Wexford, as tragic as it may be! What about the inner city kids that have been taken to the country and jumped into the water, even though they couldn`t swim?? The mother and child on holiday in Switzerland who both drowned within yards of safety?

What on earth were these people thinking

of.

Mother nature can be a bountiful godess. She can also be a cruel mistress!!

Even at the warmest time of the year, the seas are still cold around the UK. Try jumping into a cold bath at home? That water is several degrees warmer than the sea!!

At Wexford they were within 2 miles of the shore? Can you swim 2 miles with the tide pushing you sideways? Would you jump into a freezing cold lake with a 4yr old child?

The new compact life-jackets start at about £50. They don`t obstruct your fishing, but could well save your life.

How many times do we have to say it? Be safe. Not macho !!

:( :(Paul. :(

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Better still than a life jacket, a full floatation /survival suit, either 1 or 2 piece is an absolute MUST have for anyone thinking of fishing around UK shores in autumn thru to the back end of spring...... well all year round except for the few odd days we get that are reasonable :rolleyes: Whether charter, small boat or beach fishing they are a definate lifesaver.

Terry

chesters1:

looks like i wont be going out on your boat newt   :(     :D

chesters1 - in your case I might well make an exception. :D

The regulations only say I must have a life jacket on board for each person and nothing about them being worn so if you decided to be macho-man, I could stay out of jail by having one locked in the rod storage compartment.

The water now is warm enough that if you went overboard and survived, you'd do fine as long as you were conscious when you entered the water. Of course, when you hit the water at 35+ mph, the stuff seems real hard since it doesn't compress worth a darn.

But you are a grown man who can make choices. And I am a grown man who has seen folks die before. So - I have decided I will make an exception for you if you ever want to visit and fish. As long as you don't object to my wearing one.

tj2 - excellent point about an exposure suit. But even in pretty cold water your survival time is greatly increased with a life jacket. Being able to keep arms tight to the sides and legs together greatly slows down heat loss from the major arteries that would otherwise be right on the surface. Should at least allow time to get picked up if help is close by.

Without one in cold water, your heart can stop from the shock when you hit the water and go under including your head. Dead in a matter of seconds sometimes of heart failure.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt?

My life insurance policy states that I must abide by the reccomendations of the skipper if afloat? As the british `RYA` state a reccomendation for a life jacket as minimum for offshore sailing, I have to wear one. If the water is a bit choppy, I wear the full floatation suit!! Sod the clowns in their T.shirts. Let them swim back to shore!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!